Fly Tying
nomad

Crease Fly Swap

Well I HAD the bodies done, but found a flaw in all but one of them, so I just re-did them and I have a few assembled. This has been a learning experience, but it is kind of fun. I think I am doing them a little differently and that may be why I had some problems initially.

I bought some pre-glued foam, you peel off the paper from one side and it is sticky. I bought a few types of filmwrap and one mylar foil type wrap that I ended up using. The stuff is green metallic on one side and silver on the other. It has a scale pattern to it as well. I also bought some purple film wrap. I layed the foam sticky side down on the green side of the scaled wrap and applied even pressure to the surface to get good adhesion. I then cut the excess wrap away froom the sheet of foam and turned it over. There were some air bubbles in it which sort of bugged me a bit, but they go away when you cut through them with the cutter.

Anyway, I layed the sheet silver side up on a piece of cardboard a couple of inches wider all around and made marks on the cardboard, 2 inches apart, making sure the foam stayed put. Nexy I used my paper cutter to cut strips of the wrap, approx. 1cm wide (probably just a little less.). I had to lay it on another thin piece of cardboard to feed it through the cutter so I would get even strips. I did the same with the purple film but cut the strips a little narrower.

After this was done I took some Krylon spray adhesive and gave the strip a few really gentle shots to cover the silver side. I found that after the first one, if you put one end of the strip in a patch of the adhesive it would hold the material in place (the strips are about 4 inches too long anyway). I took each strip and using the two marks (one on each side, sorry) I layed it over the silver scale in a straight line. After all of them were put on, I repeated the gluing process with the purple film and then layed it down the centre of the green strip. When they were all done I smoothed them out and let the whole thing dry for an hour.

The first time I used the Creese cutter I cut with the finished side up. This was a mistake! The wrap is not flexable enough to withstand the force of the cutter pushing down through it, or it is too tough and that may be the problem. It tore a narrow slice in one side of each body. It isn't enough to effect the fly when it is fished, but not good enough to send in for the swap. I also should have done it on white foam when I started it. I just re-did the whole process on white foam and when it was well dried, I flipped it over and used a ruler to draw a centre line down the foam to represent the centre purple strip. Keeping the foam upside down I cut the bodies out. I had about 3 rejects out of 25 so I was much happier cutting it with the finished side down. I end up with a silver scaled body, it has a green scaled lateral line and a purple dorsal stripe. Looks pretty good for my first try at it, Though I see where there are alot of other things I could do with it as well. :)

Nomad, I know I should probably already have it, but could you send me your mailing address? Flies will be ready to go in about an hour.....Kerry :)

Putting the finishing touches on the flies. Thought you guys might like to see what I came up with.

Randy

Randy: Nice looking flies!

Bill

Nomad and fellow Creasers:

Wasn't able to get mine in the mail yesterday as promised (Soft Body coating wasn't dry enough), but they went into the mail today. Sorry to be cutting it so close to the deadline!

Bill

Mine have been in the mail since the 4th. I even asked at the PO and they told me they would be there in time. Sorry, they should be there. :(