Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
gill buster

Teaching classes

ok guys i just got a call from my local library about teaching some fly tying classes. she said it wouldnt be very big classes probably between 8 and 10. the problem is im not so sure im up to it as im still in my first year of tying, ill try and take some pics of the flies ive tied lately to let you guys see where im at. she said that the people will have to provide their own vise, bobbin and scissors. it was 5 classes, im not sure how long each would be over some basic tool stuff and tying some flies. the description she had from another library that did it made it sound like they did more talking than tying(not much fun in my mind). ive got a few names of more experience guys i could have take over for me but one said i had caught up with him at summer camp and hes been tying for years. so my question is this should i do it? and if so what kinda of lesson plan should i do a basic stuff and an easy fly every night? also she said id be in charge of where to get the stuff from so what stuff would i need to get and how much (hooks, material, anything not vise, bobbin, or scissors basically)?

any help would be much appreciated :help:

ive got till next tuesday to call back

gill,

Teaching others sometimes helps you become a better tier because you have to get things straight in your own mind. Besides, this is a beginner class, so teach them to tie one or two very simple patterns to give them a feel of what it's like. I suggest starting them by introducing the tools. Then talk a little about the different flies (wet flies, dry flies, streamers and terrestrials) Explain what they are. When I teach a beginner course, I fashion very large hooks out of wire coat-hangers (one or two will do, no barbs necessary). Then I use some bright nylon cord to demonstrate the half hitch and whip finish and casting the tying thread on. A wooden clip clothespin acts as a weight. Have the students practice these tying skills on the large hooks while someone holds the hook firmly at the bend.

When teaching, use large hooks. It's easier to tie larger to start. Wooley Bugger is a good starting pattern. You might also try a simple soft-hackle fashioned from peacock herl body, gold tinsel rib and a brown hen hackle. Do it on a size 8 or 10 hook.

With all that said, if you feel UNCOMFORTABLE doing it, you could ask for assistance from a more advanced tier.

Keep us posted on how you are doing and what you decide.

Mark :D

Hey Gill, I teach every now and then for a community program and Im no expert. It does help your skills . The bigest thing I learned is to come to the class prepared. I pick a pattern, and put all that is needed for each in a large ziplock Then I lable it. The first class I did was a wreck. I had materials and tools all over the place. Another, thing I do is arrive early and set up, before the class shows up. This gets you in place to where you can get right into it. It also helps out if you need access to a space to avoid being locked out.

Softhackle had some great tips, using clothes hangers and string ect. Flytying is a huge topic theres so much. Make shure you get them the basics. I found it gets to a point that I don't set up my vise after the first couple of flies I just circle around the room giving everyone a little one on one as we reach the next step. Lastly tie the patterns over and over before you get to class no matter how simple the fly is. Run through your lessons with a freind, parent,or relative. I hope this helps.

vtflhack

Good advise from Soft-Hackle. I teach mostly younger folks (Scouts) who usually have never had a flyrod in their hands. Like Soft-Hackle, I use large props to demonstrate knots, half hitches, etc.

If the class is going to be tying, and there will be 8-10 there, then by all means get someone to help you. You will be going from student to student as they tie, giving advise and encouragement. Much easier with 2 instructors. Get someone you know to help, maybe with a little more experience, but whith whom you feel comfortable.

If you get questions you don't know the answer to, tell them, and tell them you will have the answer at the next class. Don't try to fake it.

I make a special effort to explain that fly fishing is not a sport just for the rich guys, but rather just another way to fish.

You are right, stick with simple flies. Wooly Worm, Mickey Finn, etc.

You don't want to overwhelm them; you do want to give them a fly that they can be succesful in tying.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it's going.

vtflyhack must have been typing at the same time I was. Very good advise about putting the materials for each fly in a zip-loc bag, one for each person. If you want, pm me and we can get a little deeper into the subject.

I like that hook idea.

I would also start by just tying chenille on a hook . From there ty a carey, Then add a rib, then a throat then tye a sprately , then a wolley bugger , then a Nyerges Nymp, then a scud, you get the idea; Start with a simple technique and build on it. That way you're reinforcing your lesson plan and building confidence. Don't go on to the next step until people get the one your teaching first and by all means only proceed as fast as the slowest person can keep up. This is what works for my beginners classes.

i'm retirering from the teaching profession after 33 years. :yahoo:

my advice

think logically. :blink:

and ....k.i.s.s. (keep it simple stupid) :bugeyes:

use as many means at your disposal to say the same thing...

some people are visual some are not so explaining something gets to lets say 3 people, then showing it gets to a few more then using a metaphor to explain it gets to yet a couple of more...so on-so on

and don't forget you're there for them...make sure they have more fun than you do :yahoo: it's supposed to be fun

ok so im gonna do it. now the hard part... im thinking a boring night of tools, bugs, and simple shtuff. day 2 is wooly bugger day 3 mickey finn(maybe something else?) day 4 hares ear nymph day 5 ????? depending on how long these classes are and how well the people catch on this is my thought for the game plan. im really hoping they might have a camera and tv i could get set up to make it so i can tie on vise and have everybody see it. not sure how well i can tie on a coat hanger. im hoping they decide to do these after christmas so i can show off some new toys :yahoo: anyways this plan look good or not, any changes that should be made???

and also any techniques for a 16 year old teaching adults???

do not tie small! and use 6/0 thread white...easier to see

take absolutley NOTHING for granted...THIS IS A BOBBIN ...VISE...ETC...

have plenty of stuff just to explain something but nothing exotic...have a few necks to show the difference bettween hackles...dry or wet...hen or rooster...what is tinsel , dubbing etc

then

let them start by just getting used to starting thread wrapping in a "confident" manner how to pull down to tighten the wrapss then bring the thread to the finishing position (head area) and get them to tie off using a whip finish WITHOUT TYING ANYTHING ONTO THE HOOK... the hook will not be a cluttered mess.

a gigantic hook and easily bendable wire , like te wirering for a front door bell, works very well when demonstrating how to tie a knot...you can olet go of the wire to point to a specific wrap...also it is much easier to see

explain, demonstrate then let them go...

explain the basic concept of the step... demonstrate step #1 then tie it off, remove the unfinished fly from the vise and pass it around..., let them do that section...then start another fly , do the previous step then add the next step ..repeat...etc etc.

try NOT to say SOMETHING is "WRONG", INSTEAD SHOW OR STATE, " WELL HERE IS ANOTHER WAY THAT I FIND TO WORK BETTER FOR ME..."

have a large plain newsprint pad with you to show a large drawing of a step etc...if you're artistic then you can draw out a step- step procedure...(better than a blackboard...

FIGURE OUT EACH NIGHT IN SOME SORT OF OUTLINE FORM FOR YOU TO FOLLOW...YOU WILL FORGET SOMETHING SO HAVING THAT SHEET THERE IS NOTHING BUT INSURANCE...AFTER YOU HAVE THE ENTIRE THING MAPPED OUT. BE PREPARED TO ACCOMPLISH ABOUT 60% OF WHAT YOU WANT TO DO FOR THAT ONE NIGHT

as for what flies...remember you are teaching methods and not how to tie a specific pattern ..choose your patterns wisely...wooly buggers teaches body hackling, wrapping a chennile(wool) body, tail and hackle collar, tying off with a whip finish,

the next pattern should show a few different techniques besides the ones then saw first...find out what they're going to fsih for then pick something simple to show those techniques

time flies very quickly...you'll be nervous at first but it sounds like you're not running away from this

i smell confidence...use it to your advantage...

then mr. 16 year old you just may be able to say...and YOUR HOMEWORK tonight is....for a change :rolleyes:

best of luck