Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

is the Danvise Rotating Vise any good?

Just wondering if anyone out there had one of these I'm looking for an inexpensive true rotary vise...Thanks

I haven't tried that particular vise but I would recommend staying cheap! Many of the more expensive vises has some extra bells and whistles and might hold up a little longer but unless your planning on tying thousands of flies a year I'd stay cheap. Use the money you saved for some material!

Guest Greg H.

I have tied on one for three years and it has done everything I need (size 4 to 18). I also have had a Thompson copy and have Griffin 2A and Odyssey cam. I still usually use the Danvise. There are some tips and customizations that make it better, but they are not what makes it a good vise. If you get one, email me for further suggestions on set-up. [email protected]

Guest Guest

Thanks for the info Greg! I'll let you know if I decide on the Danvise later this summer...

Charlie

QUOTE (troutaholic @ Jul 24 2003, 04:34 PM)
Just wondering if anyone out there had one of these I'm looking for an inexpensive true rotary vise...Thanks

I have been using a Danvise for the past 3 years, although I don't tie fresh water flies, what I tie are Saltwater flies ranging in size's 1/0 to a 8/0 with absolutely no holding problems.

I highly recomend this vise to anyone, I'm sure it will hold the smaller trout hooks as well

Joe wink.gif wink.gif wink.gif

could any one tell me were i can get information on the danvice i would like to look into getting one

calvin kidder biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Considering we don't have sponsorship issues here, at present, anyway, maybe you should start an Internet search to see where you could get one at the most competitive price. Begin your search with "Dan-vise", "Dan Vise", "Danica Vise", et cetera; you should get a ton of hits.

Where are you in Maine? - try contacting Eldredge Bros. in Cape Neddick - www.eldredgeflyshop.com

I believe Feather Craft in St. Louis, MO, has them in it's catalog. www.feather-craft.com

Grab one of your fly tying magazines and look for an ad.

QUOTE (calvin kidder @ Aug 12 2003, 07:36 AM)
could any one tell me were i can get information on the danvice i would like to look into getting one
calvin kidder biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Calvin

I got mine at http:// www.orvis.com, I did check on this and they still have them in stock listed as ROTARY VISE #SI527E list at $79.00

Can't go wrong at that price, I wouldn't trade mine for the best of them.

Joe

Guest Guest

The E-Z rotary vise for about $40.00 from Hook and Hackle Co. is worth a look. I've been using it for a couple of months now and like it pretty well. It looks and works much like a Renzetti Traveler but a lot less expensive. Thought I would give it a try to see if I liked a rotary. Doesen't come with a bobbin rest but you can easily make one for it with some coat hanger wire mounted on a pedestal. Hook and Hackle is the only place I've seen it and you can currently order it on line at 20% off and free shipping. Check out their website at Hookhackle.com

Dave

I asked the same question about a month ago and since getting all the info I love mine it does everything I want it to and more. Cheap and reliable it has become my favourite vise of the 3 I own, I also got mine at Orvis cost me 120 Canadian and worth every cent to me James

I use a Danvise. i finally bought one to give a rotary vise a try after tying for 20 years plus on a Thompsom Model A. Problem I keep having is that I forget to rotate the dang thing...ld habits are hard to break. It holds all the sizes of hooks I tie on quite well, from about 12 to about 3/0 is what I've tied on it recently.

Mark Delaney

i tie exclusively on a dan vise.i own two of them and wouldn't trade um for nothing. i say this because i've grown accustomed to them. i think everyone has their own preference. when you do buy a rotary, weather it be a danvize or griffin, once you become accustomed to the vise you'll think it's the best. the most important aspect of a vise should be the jaws, will it hold the hook? the danvise is a great vise but their are many styles and makes that also will hold the hook securely. you have to also take into consideration what size hooks you will be using, some vises work best with the smaller hooks while others handle the bigger hook, ( 3/0 tp 10/0 ) much better. hope this helps you along the path, Bud

First Replay to this wonderful forum! Just a suggestion about the Danvise! I looked on Ebay and they have the Danvise for $60.00 plus shipping! Hope this helps with some rotary vise decisions?

Staff

I'm a huge fan of the Danvise. If you travel, its an extremelylight weight vise to pack. Its sturdy...no problems with wobbly parts. It's hook holding capability is incredible at really every size I've tried. Hooks will readily bend but won't slip. It also has some thoughful easy thumbscrew adjustments that make it very easy to keep the hook shaft on the true centerline axis regardless of the hook size. For southpaws it even come with an easy replacement jaw mount which quickly converts the whole assembly into a left handed vise. I'd have to echo the Ebay recommendation. Typically one can grab the vise for $60 almost any day of the week. I can't imagine you'd be disappointed.

I have found it was worth spending the time on my Dyna King Pro. Since it holds the hook better it is ezer to tie and I can tie a little faster.