Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dsaavedra

Dahlberg Diver

Tied my first dahlberg diver. the tail i made up on the fly (pun intended) but i did the head diver style. heres a picture!!!

IPB Image

lemme know whatcha think!

Nice first try!

By fishing them you will develop a sense of what areas to modify going forward ;)

Nice job! I think what JJD is saying is that with certain fly patterns, particularly divers, you want to test them to see if they work the way you intended. For example, when I first started tying divers, I tied a few that just would not dive at all -- instead, they just slid across the water surface when stripped. :wallbash: With modifications, I finally settled on a particular head shape and other characteristics that I felt worked the way I wanted.

By the way, nothing wrong with your tail but it is more typically tied with the feathers flipped over so that they're splayed outward. Nevetheless, the bass won't care and will probably fight for it. :P

I think Hairstacker might even have a photo proving his point about how effective a DD is...right Mike ;)

These very popular flies for use on Norhtern California Bass waters!

Thom

yeah..they are splayed out. heres a pic. IPB Image the left one isnt shorter, its just the angle i took the pic made it look that way. they are even.

That looks like it will catch some fish. :yahoo: Pretty good for your first. One thing I do on mine is to bring the head out closer to the eye. It looks like you could have added one more bunch of hair up by the hook eye. However it might dive better the way you have it tied.

yeah i lef it that way so that the very tip would dip down, instead of float, making it morelikely to dive down.