Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Big Mac

Hi

This is my first post and want to say hi to everyone.

I really got hooked on fly fishing last summer after a couple trips for smallmouth bass. Caught lots of 15- 18 inchers. It was a blast! Before those trips I'd never really gotten serious about fly fishing.

I just found this site and it got me pumped to pull out Dad's old fly tying stuff! He showed me how to tie a few nymphs years ago. So I pulled it all out, took a trip to the tackle store, and got to it. I tied up a wooly bugger and a wooly worm, i'm pretty happy with them. I'll have to figure out how to post pics and I'll post em in the beginners fourm.Bye for now. :headbang:

Been tying like crazy since I found this site, and I figured out how to post pics too. I also just thought I'd share a little story with everyone.

Last summer I decided to take my flyrod to my favorite bass lake here in NW Ontario. I was a little unsure about bassin' on the fly but thought what the heck. I tied on an olive wooly bugger and started fishing. nothing was happening and I decided to try a mickey finn. (my girlfriend was catching fish with a yellow and red jig) On my first cast I got a 16 inch smallie! A few more casts after that bang, an 18 incher! After that we caught lots between 15-18 inches and had great day fishing. Now all I can think about is getting back there for some more. Heres a couple pics of the smallies that got me hooked. (interesting note on the second fish, it spit up a Garder snake that was about 18" long!!!)

My first flyrod Smalliepost-10087-1170381454_thumb.jpg

My second, you can see the Mickey Finn in the corner of its mouthpost-10087-1170381501_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the site Big Mac. You'll find lots of help with your tying here. Between everyone on the site, there are ka-billions of years of tying experience. Those are great Smallie pix, too!