Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sage8wt

Streamers for Steelhead

Looking for some new pattern ideas for steelhead streamers. I have all of the 'ol standbys, just looking for any input on some new ideas. I don't have a very well developed box of streamers for steelhead, and I thought thats what I would accomplish this weekend.

Madonna, muddler minows and zoo cougar's work well during the spring time. I also use a marabou spey, or a popscile, as some people call them, in a lime green and white or blue. The marabou spey seems to make them very angry. One time fishing the PM I had one come across the river just to attack the fly. And I do mean attack. Ofcoarse 5 min. later he was 100 yrds down the river and my line was in a tree. But that is a different opinion. IMHO.

Randy

Got a couple big uglies I have been tying lately involving magnum rabbit, EP sparkle braid, and wool that I think should do quite well. And of course don't forget teh Foxee Bastard ;)

Depends if you want to swing or dead drift. For swinging, you can't do much better than any of Feenstra's patterns. For dead drifting, you have the standard buggers. Small baitfish patterns work too. A salmon fry pattern can be tough to beat in the early spring. Especially on the PM or Muskegon. I've had the most luck with a BTS. You can dead drift or swing it. Let me know if you need recipes for any of those patterns.