Fly Tying

FTOTY 2nd Round Voting!!!

I guess I misunderstood this. My bad.

Alex C. posted: I just think that since it's a Fly Tyer of the Year contest, that someone who is the fly tyer of the year should win. Not someone who was lucky enough that a majority of people thought a single fly they tied was the coolest. That is a fly of the year contest. There are guys who send in multiple flies that have a legitimate shot at winning and then there are other guys who enter a single fly with a chance of winning. Being a great fly tyer is about more than being able to tie one style of fly. To me, someone who can "throw down" in multiple tying disciplines would be much more worthy of a sweet carlin bamboo rod than someone who can only tie one type of fly well.

It does not say anywhere that someone who entered a single fly should be ineligible. :lol: Read it :lol:

The goal of the way I'd like to see the contest would be to push people to broaden their horizons. Also to enter more flies into the contest. If someone is a great realistic tyer, and can tie a mean bug, that's great. But someone who loves to tie something like eggs, or other flies that lack the visual appeal of realistics or salmon flies will never have a chance to win the contest in it's current format. If it was done the way I'm lobbying for, maybe someone like that might have a chance at the grand prize. What's the worse that could happen, people who don't tie certain styles who want to win this contest might want to learn some new skills that they wouldn't have had to otherwise.

Someone who only entered one fly would still be eligible. Their chances would just go down since it would be a Tyer contest, not a fly contest.

Honestly, this topic is not the appropriate place to discuss what everybody thinks is wrong with the contest. Every year I put a topic up to discuss everyone's thoughts so this is not the time nor place. This topic is suppose to say "congrats" to all of the winners and to vote for the overall winner. Nothing more...

Sorry about that dude. No hard feelings either Alex.

And I do congratulate all of this years winners there were some great flies and it was tough to decide when voting. Nothing wrong with the contest either, I am sure everyone here appreciates the effort you put into it Will. It has to be a lot of hard work. Thanks.

Those were some fantastic looking flies all of them, wasn't that easy picking out the winner since they already are winners in each of their categories! My hat is off to everyone and to Will who has once again arranged the contest extremly well!

Ulf

Good Day,

Well said Uffe! Certainly one of the best competitions out there, and it is just one guy doing it vs some large team! An awesome effort! I continue to be very thankful Will!

Steelie

Tomorrow, Tomorrow, Tomorrow, it's only a day away!!!!!! Can't wait to see all the winners!!!!

I really think everyone that entered is a winner, no matter what!!! Hopefully next year it will be even bigger!

I owe a huge debt of gratitude to Will, FTF, the members and in 2004 I entered my first FTOTY contest and I've never looked at my fly tying the same, I've grown more in the past two years than the first 18 years of trial and error. It's because of FTF.

I really think that captures part of the spirit of the contest. Pushing yourself to improve over last year.

Can't wait to see who the top dog is!!!!

CBS I agree my abilities have grown by leaps and bounds because of this site. Will This contest is something that I plan for all year. I start tying around march. I had my smallmouth streamer done by June of last year. Im just glad that you keep it in your heart to keep this free and open to all to enter and vote! The best part about his is that we all get to vote. Thanks again WILL!!!!!

Good Day,

Just under 8 hours to go!

Well said Day5 and CBS. Certainly one of the benefits of such competitions is the improvement of our individual skills. The want to do better.

Steelie

Hi folks,

really hart decision, all of the flies are better than I` ve seen in German boards. Well done! Heilix Blechle :thumbsup:

My vote was supported by my son and together we found the perfect fly.

Hartmut