Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
dabalone

Cements

I have tied my first dozen or so flies, boogers and some leech type patterns for bass, some with beadheads and some wrapped with lead. They look pretty good and will see if I can get hold of a digital camera to post a pic and see what you all think. Durability would be my concern.

I have been using zap a gap along the hook shaft before wrapping the body and also putting a little on the thread for the last final wraps and tie off. What do you think of the zap a gap and how often should I use it? I have not been using head cement.

It's supposed to be waterproof. Yes, definitely, bond materials to the hook shank. I don't totally agree with using CA alone for finish wraps (being an old crank and all)- I still use head cement or nail polish or something; 'sides, CA doesn't smooth out wrappings, it just sits there and looks bland as opposed to shiny and 'coated'.

CA adheasives will definately "bulk up" a thread quickly if you get carried away with it.....use it sparingly... a little goes a long way...too much and it will turn thick and white and gum up an otherwise beautiful fly.....

Ok, picked up some clear nail polish while out and about today. Must have taken me 10 mins. in the nail care dept. to read the labels and figure I had the right stuff. Lots of ladies were noticing me browsing around and I am sure with all the gay marriages going on here in Calif. and around the nation some must of thaught I was getting rdy for the big day lol.

LMFAO!!!!!

But seriously, the teflon stuff and the polish with nylon are super strong when they cure! and cheap, too! You would have known that if you were here during the "Purse of Knowledge" days....may be time to bring that back!

Stuff I use, and most that I know, is Sally Hansens hard as nails. Stuff works great, awesome applicator (like any nail polish) and comes in a variety of colors. Mostly use the clear, but do spice things up a bit at times.

I actually heard about the sally hansons stuff from steelheader69 I while back on another site. I havent been able to get any, but right now I am using Troutsmen All Purpose Head cement, and Griffs thick fly tying multi coat, high gloss. Has anyone used those?

When I have to use cement I generally use a good quality head cement or sally hanson, One cement I like is Loon hard head, makes a nice shiny head, and be cut with alcohal. Thinned goop is good for wingcases, also vinal cement. I would stay away from water based glues I think in time they break down in time. CA glue is good if you really need to hold a part in place, but I've seen Ca break down also from being in water....... Years ago we used to take some clear vinal, acetone and mix to make cement in quart jars....... did someone say brain damage? biggrin.gif

I use to use head cement made by "loon" but lately i have just been doin a couple of half hitches and a tiny bit of super glue,havent had any probs yet.

SD

I don't use anything at the beginning but I use Daves Fleximent on the head of most of my flies. The only thing to watch out for is if you don't use it fast enough(4-5 months) or keep the lid closed REALLY TIGHT it will get gummy really quick.

I just picked up some real glossy stuff to start using on my streamers although I may have to look into the Sally's stuff next time my supplies get lower though.