Fly Tying
sniksoh

waders?

i am thinking about buying a pair of waders...this would be my first purchase of waders and i have no clue what to look for...i fish still water for largemouth and gills, i was thinking about getting some hip waders because the summers get pretty hot around here...and i dont plan on fishing in water past my upper thiegh... i was planning on buyting over the internet but i have no clue how the sizes go and since i cant try them on before purchasing i am not really excited about purchasing them on the computer...

all suggestions are welcomed...please help!!! :help:

thanks,

sniksoh

Since you aren't fishing cold water rivers you probably don't need to worry too much about their insulation. The sizes go by the size of the boot on the waders if there are any. Match your shoe size to the boot size maybe go 1/2 a size bigger just to be safe and they should fit.

There are arguments for both styles. Boot footed hippers will be less expensive overall because you won't need to buy wading boots. However, they won't be as comfortable for the same reason. Also, sometimes if you step in deep, sticky mud with boot footed hippers the mud will tend to want to pull them off your feet and legs. Stocking foot hippers allow you to buy separate boots that will be much more comfortable, as long as you get some decent boots that fit. I have had both and would recommend getting the stocking foot hippers and buy some good, well fitting, comfortable wading boots. Don't scrimp on the boots. Get some that fit well over the neoprene stockings. You can order the hippers over the net without too much trouble getting them to fit, but I would take them with you to buy the wading boots and try the boots on over the hippers to make sure of the fit. Ordering the wading boots on the net would be iffy at best.

Joe

Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops are an excellent source for good quality, affordable waders of both styles and you have an opportunity to try them on as well. I purchased mine at Bass Pro Shops in Harrisburg, PA and they were very helpful and very patient. I must have tried every type and style they had until I finally settled on mine and the sales staff was very considerate and friendly.

I would go to wally world and get a pair of hippers. Make sure they fit good. A little to big is no good. Then when you got some cash get your self a pair of waist high stocking foot breathables, with a good pair of wading boots. Look at everything and anything on the net, you will know what you want. They are way more comfortable and will allow you to go a bit deeper. The last thing you want is to get a pair of hip waders full of water. Not only is it dangerous they are so heavy it is a nightmare to walk in. Your legs will feel like they are 300 pounds. Trying to get through a swap to some secluded water I found out the hard way.

There is a thing called a Brahma, what it is, is a little bottie. It is an insulator for rubber boots. Your feet will remain dry and comfortable even on the hottest days when sweating. They are about $11.00 here. if you get a pair put them on before your waders. If they are to tight your feet will cramp. You would be better off wet

I wear what we call splash pants over shorts and rubber boots to go worming on the flats in the summer when it is hot. You can get them at Walmart for about $15.00 here. They are made by a company called Sportek. Sometimes I have to wade through tidal creeks and channels. I have found that if I tape the cuffs of the pants with black electrical tape to my boots no water will get in. They also serve as light packable rain pants. They are water proof new and I find will stay that way for a long time as long as you dont ring them out. Just hang and air dry. Takes about 20 minutes.

I also find that wearing the cheap rubber boots they will chafe the backs of your legs in shorts. So I cut the toes out of an old pair of socks and pull them up to my knees. I use this set up to work in. I find that I usually get a summer out of the pants. for fishing they would last for a long time. I always say I am going to keep a pair for fishing but use them for work.

They are great to take a chill of you and for keeping the dew away in the morning and evenings. They also make a nice packable jacket, but I have not seen them in a wile. I forgot mine on the flats one day and the tide took it away.

Sniksoh,

Here is just a suggestion. I would forget the hip boots and go with a pair of stocking foot, breathable, waist high, waders. Much safer and comfortable than hippers. These will make walking and wading easier and safer should you take one step in too many. The breathable part will keep you fromover heating when youare in shallow water or walking in to your spot. The seperate boots, while ab it more expensive are much easier on your feet andhelp if you have to climb an bank or walk a long ways.

Size them according to your shoe size and in-seam. I get mine a 1/2 big in the foot and1-2 inches long in the inseam. By the same size boots accordingly. Keep an eye out for placed like sierratrader.com and cabelas bargin cave. You can often pickup deals.

Hope this helps.

F2T

I just bought a pair of columbia henry fork waders and the Cabelas lightweight boots with the spikes in them. Both from Cabelas. Couldn't be happier. I read a lot of reviews on the waders and they where the only 5 layer breathables I found in that price range. The have reinforced knees and a good front pouch. I got them both for 230 including shipping.

Hope this helps.

Randy