Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Upside down tomatoes!!

This isn't fishing related, but has anyone treid to grow "upside down tomatoes"? A friend sent me pictures of some he had grown last year, with good results. I found some info on the internet, and I'm going for my first attempt. Be kind with your answers!!!

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

Yes, I grow both normal and upside down tomatoes. I get about the same yield from the upside down plants as I do the normal, but I can grow twice as many plants in the same area.

I make about 5 gallons of tomato sauce each September from all those Roma's.

In the 30 X 40 garden, 2 rows of tomatoes would produce close to 100 lbs. after an inch of rain. Had no reason to grow them upside down, especially when there were plenty for fried green tomatoes all summer long; of course there wasn't too much room overhead when the plants were over 7 feet tall & over 6 feet wide supported on 1/2" rebar :yahoo:

I am trying a cherry tomato, as first try. Its gets so hot here in the so. California desert area, the heat and sun are tough to handle. Should be interesting. Thanks for the replies.

Have a good one

Pat cCarroll

I went into the internet and put in "upside down tomatoes", and found quite a few different sites to get information. Fun and interesting stuff.

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

Are they still upside down tomatoes if i pick them doing a handstand... ? Seems like a good idea, I live in an appartment , this could help me get a lil more out of my space .. never heard of it before this thread.. thanks for posting . :cheers:

Have you ever tried gutters.

I went to Home Depot, bought new gutter sections with end caps and closed them in with the help of a little silicon caulking. Drilled drain holes in the bottom, and lined them with landscaping cloth to keep dirt from washing out. Hung them on yard fence with hangers also bought at Home Depot and filled with good soil. I've done peppers, lettuce, onions, herbs, and strawberries. Since we have a small yard, it keeps them up in the air so dogs and rabbits can't have their way with them. Screen gutter guards protect seeds if that is what you are planting. Haven't tried tomatos, but don't see why they shouldn't also work. Works good for people with bad backs and with a handicap that might prevent them from bending over to do much gardening. Walk right up to the fence or bannister and have at it. Hung some on patio for my wife so she could plant flowers.

Don't know if you've ever grown tomatoes, but the root system is about a third of the size of what's above ground; so gutter gardening would amount to hydroponics & miniature tomatoes instead of the big boys ! You'd need steel cable to support the big uglys if you could get them to grow in a gutter....odds are the backyard fence would come down first without, even before the Miracle Grow treatments :hyst: :hyst:

You are probably right about needing extra support for several plants. I may try one plant this year to see what it does. I know the system works great for the smaller plants. I know plants with large root systems, like potatoes, would not do well this way.

I am into perma-culture and soil building is an essential aspect of my gardening practices. All summer long, I fish for steelhead, when I harvest and fillet a hatchery fish, I bury the remaining carcass into my garden beds. Composting the fish has created some of the most fertile soil you could imagine. The soil is the most important aspect of gardening in my opinion and buying a bag of Home Depot dirt, though will start off ok will likely result in small, grocery store flavored tomatoes. Compost grown tomatoes are huge, fat and juicy. I would suggest using a good composted soil in your upside down pots and water with an Alaskan fish food fertilizer and possibly get some big tasty fruits. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies,I get my best results using fish emulsion type fertilizers.

Pat Carroll