Fly Tying
JSzymczyk

disco minnow

Disco Yarn, made by Bernat, in the yarn/sewing/craft section of wally world (and elsewhere I'm sure). It comes in many colors, and is about $5 for fifty yards (!!) enough to tie a BUNCH of flies.

I have some of this stuff, but I haven't used any of it yet. Thanks for the idea. :headbang:

JSzymczyk (its bad that I have to cut and paste you name) I did a disco worm a few months ago in the same manner. This type fly has so much action in the water it is unbelievable!!! Ill like the minnow body Ill have to tie a few with eyes!!! I did the worm with a cone and unweighted. the slow sinker and natural action of the unweighted one may make it a day saver. here is a pic that will give everyone and idea of the super soft and super flexible extended under body too.

post-2608-1176974270_thumb.jpg

wow i like that disco minnow....ALOT!!!! I HAVE TO GET SOME DISCO YARN!!! does joanns carry it? wut exactly is it made out of anyway?

Ok, I can't figure out how to furl the tail. Do you tie it in before you twist it with the twister or after? :dunno:

Here is the concept. Hold the yarn at one end. Twist it up with the twister. then stop it with the other hand and place the two opposite ends together. now watch as the length "furls" or twists up naturally. That portion is you tail or extended body. You can ether tie it in first or after you make the tail. T lee you have one of mine it came with your vise.

Here is the concept. Hold the yarn at one end. Twist it up with the twister. then stop it with the other hand and place the two opposite ends together. now watch as the length "furls" or twists up naturally. That portion is you tail or extended body. You can ether tie it in first or after you make the tail. T lee you have one of mine it came with your vise.

Ok, so you double it, twist it, then double the twisted part, or am I making this too hard? :blink:

hers how i do it. before you start tying, take a length of the yarn. put one end in your vise. then attach the other end to your dubbing twister. then start twisting and twisting and twisting untill the stuff starts to bind up. once it gets very tightly twisted, then you take the end w/ the twister and bring it over to the end in your vise. it should be doubled, and the two halves should have twisted together. just take adn tie a know w/ the two open ends so they are secure. now you have a furled leader ready to tie in at whatever length you need.