Fly Tying
JSzymczyk

disco minnow

my flies are tied with a "doubled" furl- i double a length of the yarn and twist it, then let it furl into a tail. I wanted to create a fuller baitfish type fly for the stained water I fish around here. Furling a single strand of yarn will create a slimmer tail, with the advantage that it won't hold as much water and it will cast easier.

The disco yarn is fully synthetic, fiber strands mixed with fine flashabou type mylar strands.

Here is a link to a step by step I did for hatches, Disco Leech, flies are similar

http://hatchesmagazine.com/page/august2006/242

I find these flies have incredible movement in the water, they pulse and breath and the tail swims back and forth. In the article I said to spin the dubbing twister twice. I give it a good twist and let it stop then repeat.

I also tied a disco worm for bass, with a longer tail, and piece of foam added at tail. I have only tested the worm flies but the foam floats the tail. A bead, cone or weight at the eye causes the head of the fly to sink. It swims like a snake when retrieved and has the up and down swimming action of a leech when striped slow and jigged. Sitting still the disco yarn breathes like crazy. I am looking forward to try the worm flies when bass season opens. Here is a link to the disco worms.

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?act...amp;showid=3830

I find this stuff real strong, as I have repeatedly brushed it with a coarse brush, and it only made the fly look better. It puffed it up, that's what will happen when fished and cast anyway. It can be dyed, but there is a mylar flash so it will melt. A cool dye bath or marker will make any colour you want. I noticed on the Bernat website that they have came out with some new colours of the yarn. I think the disco yarn will make some "hot" fish catching patterns.

Once you get the hang of it, these flies can be tied up pretty quick. I have not caught a fish with one yet but am confident they will tear it up for just about anything that swims fresh or salt.

I felt like an idiot once I tried to furl it. Too easy!! Thanks for being patient with the dumb guy :D !

got on down to walmart and got me a roll of this disco yarn. i cant WAIT to make some flies w/ this stuff! my internet has been down, so i couldnt see the step by step on here till now. ill tie some up soon!

well ive made three so far:

a long one that is silver, red gills, turquoise mid section, and a black back

a medium one that is silver red gills and a black back

and a medium one that is in a fire tiger scheme (my favorite)

ill post pics up later

hey i like this pattern so much that i decided to do a photo step by step for it. :yahoo: hope you dont mind. B)

:huh: dsaavedra, Is there a chartreuse disco yarn or did you color the stuff with a marker for the tiger/perch?

and a medium one that is in a fire tiger scheme (my favorite)

i colored that one dark green on top, then chartruse on the sides then yellow underneath, with some orange in the chest. then i put the black vertical bars on. i did it all with sharpie. normally that was just straight silver, but i like to color them :)