Fly Tying
Mokai

Raffia Trouble

I have tried using Raffia for the first time and it is not going well..First try was without any varnish and it kept seperating on me..Second try was with varnished and it went better but I think my underbody needs to be more tapered.

Any tricks or tips on using Raffia for realistics..Any advice would be appreciated..

Thanks,

Is it natural raffia, i.e. the sort that is often sold in plant centres and the like or is it Raffene/Swiss straw the man made version that you are using? As tying and finishing techniques differ depending on which one you are using.

John

Good Day,

Arkle has a good point there. Depending on whether or not you are using the natural or synthetic version can certaily make a difference with regard to base techniques. What are the specific issues you are encountering?

Steelie

Its the natural stuff im using..I was trying to wrap it around the hook shank for a stonefly nymph body..It kept separating length wise when wrapping even when I lacquered it... ? ?

It may be less likely to separate if you moistened it just prior to tying it in, with a natural material it is very dependant on when it was harvested and many other factors. With the man made stuff it's totally different, but the same tecnique would apply. You may have to be a bit more "selective" with strand choice with the natural one. The man made one is thinner and much more consistant to work with although both have different characteristics which are advantageous for different styles of fly. Laquer choice may also need several trials to get right for each type of material and should only be applied after wrapping. John

Good Day,

Good Advice from Arkle. I would also look at folding it lengthwise. Not only may it help with strength, but also help to better define the segements of the abdomen.

Steelie

same problem with me..tried to wet it but still split...maybe use less h2o so its not too wet? :dunno:

guess trial by error and advice from the great group here.

There are a couple of other posts of this subject on page 3 of this forum you might fid worthwhile. The first is "any colour you want, swiss straw" followed by "Raffene, Where do I find it"

When moistening the material, do you use tap water or saliva ? the latter is obviously a bit more local and its temprature may also help. Providing you don't over do it of course. It is also possible to under do it as well so keep trying.

John