Fly Tying
JJD

EZ-Body Minnow Variation

I've tied a version of the EZ-body minnow with a second head section overlapping. I wanted something that I could dead drift with little twitches that would produce action when still. It's got marabou overload at the tail and gill areas. I seem to have developed a "thing" for red peeking out from the gill cover area :)

Thread: White UNI

Tail: marabou, dun color

Body: E-Z body 1/2", with white closed-cell foam inside rimmed to shape.

Collar: "clumped" or palmered marabou, depending upon the color combination wanted.

Head: 1/2" section of E-Z Body tied at marabou and pushed back over itself to create pseudo gill covers anchored at hook eye. Red holographic stick-on eyes. Head coated with thinned epoxy (just to hold the eyes more securely).

Since there is more bouyancy towards the tail, the fly floats head-down. This results in very nice dip downward when twitched. A few nice bass confirmed the action the first time I tried it out. You can make this as long, or as short as you like to mimic local baitfish patterns. Longer patterns float a little higher due to the added bouyancy of additional foam.

Two variations are included, one with "magnum" E-Z Body for the head over the 1/2" body. The second is a segmented version witha "quick-change" rear-end. I tied a Norman Speed Clip at the bend so you can change the colors, or add a trailer with an additional hook. The segmented model has incredible action.

post-4245-1179073623_thumb.jpg

Good Day,

Well done JJD! I like the concept as it is well thought out. This should be a great "all" species pattern too I would think. Both fresh and salt!

Steelie

Thanks for the kind words Steelie.

I had a revelation of sorts early this year when two of the biggest fish I've hooked were taken on dead drifted flies - one, a snook over 40" (later lost to a bent hook). So I've been playing around with stuff that "breathes". These have worked out well so far on largemouth bass. Although I don't think that a largemouth is particularly picky, the results have been "exciting".I hope to take a batch down to the Everglades in the nest few weeks to try them on snook and small tarpon that are starting to heat up.

John

Thank you for sharing this cool pattern. I think this will work in fresh and salt water.

I am definitely stealing the E-Z body gill plate technique for my next batch of tube flies. :headbang:

Good Day,

Cool JJD - thanks for the backstory. Please do report on how these work in the 'glades. I am curious as my fiance and I are spending the 1st - 17th of November on Captiva Island (Fort Myers Fla for those unfamiliar) as we are getting married there on the 6th. BTW, I know there are a few other FTF members in that area... might have to get together one day and fish... like at Ding Darling or something?

Anyway... have you fished them on a sinking line yet? I like foam streamers on sinking lines. Most of my fish have hit when the streammer begins to float back up after being stripped.

Have you considered a lip on this fly? Just curious.

I think I might have to get out the brass cutting tubes and my block foam!

Steelie

Very nice!! I like it!! :headbang: :headbang:

May have to try something of the sort myself!

Mike

Thanks, guys.

Steelie, I am a huge fan of fishing a floating fly on a sinking line ;) My backup rig that always come along with me is a #8 with a Teeny T-350. For fishing a floating fly on the sinking line I came up with a trick that helped me out immensely - I tie three nail knots on the head of the fly line about 5 feet apart. You can then feel the "snags" as the knots go across rocks & other structures. Knowing the length of your leader, you now have almost a perfect idea of where the fly is with repect to the structure you are fishing.

As far a a lip I've though about it, but haven't done much more than preliminary experimentation. Since EZ-Body is pretty stiff you can actually make a lip by "puffing it up" (sort of the way I made the heads, but you just mush things together and pull perpendicular). After anchoring it by tying knots on each side, a little superglue hold it together. You then trim about 270 degrees around, and epoxy the remaining lip for added stiffness. It leave a few fuzzies that need to be covered by a quick thread ayer if you want to keep it pretty. I'll post pictures in a few days.

Back to work for Mother's Day!

John

Another way to use E-Body for flies. They don't have the movement the marabou flies do but they've been effective.

IPB Image

And if you wonder what to do with any XL or XXL E-Z body you have lying around.

IPB Image

As far as lipped flies go I've been playing with them for a long time, including the idea of using epoxy with the E-Z body. The main thing is the lip can't be narrow.

Here are a couple of my early attempts where the lip is an extension of the E-Z Body.

www.danica.com/flytier/jcaruso/floater_diver.htm

www.danica.com/flytier/jcaruso/floater_diver_fire_tiger.htm

I've got several newer versions that use a plastic lip as opposed to formed lip. I've got to take pictures of them. But here's one that now works after bit of modification, added some weight to the bottom and moved the tie in point down onto the lip. It works so-so with a floating line, but with an intermediate or sinking line it behaves like it's plastic counterpart.

Side view

IPB Image

Top View

IPB Image

Steelie:

So far in streams. Mostly in moderate to fast current. I've done a bit of playing in a slow moving stream but the lake may have to wait till I get to Canada unless I can break free one weekend to hit one of the local lakes. They're not perfect, but they're working 85% of the time. Main problem seems to be they land on their backs. Then I have to make a hard strip or two to get them turned over and running right. There don't seem to be much twisting of the lure on retrieve. I think I'm going to do a couple of more Flatfish syle lures and just replace the others as I lose them.

All but the two wide body Wiggle Wart style ones work with the floating line. They all work on an intermediate sinking line. Anyway, here's what I'm going to play with the rest of the year.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Good Day,

Again, cool flies! If I may be so bold... next time you tie one would you be so kind as to take step by step pics to post? Thanks!

Steelie

Philly - if you disect some of the old lipped plugs you will sometime find a small bead of lead on the bottom (under the finish), so that they land and sit "bottom down".

John

I landed about a dozen speckled trout yesterday. All were caught on the fly in the bottom left of the first picture posted.

The "marabou overload" looked great with a slight pause in the water!

The fly still looks like it did when it was tied - even after getting blasted by the little canine teeth of the sea trout. So that ansewered any durability questions that I had ;)