Fly Tying
panfisherteen

Hookless Gar Fly

thanks :D there are a couple of beaches near me that i have seen gar swimming in the shallows,and it would kinda be like "stalking bonefish in the shallows" as put by Pujic's recent article on gar fishing in Canadian Fly Fisher Magazine

what kind, and how big is the nylon rope you're using. i have nylon rope fish stringers, but i'm thinking that is going to be too small, or not the right stuff.

we actually do a lot of bowfishing for gar and there are plenty of times when i could lay a fly up there.

let me know. we're doing a bowfishing trip to land between the lakes this weekend i'd i'll tie up a few of these and take with me.

... k

we actually do a lot of bowfishing for gar and there are plenty of times when i could lay a fly up there.

let me know. we're doing a bowfishing trip to land between the lakes this weekend i'd i'll tie up a few of these and take with me.

Kenneth,

I don't know where you are, but gar are becoming fewer and fewer everywhere. You should work on getting all of your friends into fishing for them and do catch and release. That way they'll be here in the future.

In the South, gar have been over fished, bowhunted and killed, seined and killed, caught and thrown on the bank to die. Just about every way to kill a gar has been done, and now in many places where there used to be many, many big gar, 100, 200, 300 or more pound gar, there are no or very few small gar now. In many places, the alligator gar are totally gone, and all because people just kept killing them.

Gar should be sport fish because that may be the only way they have to survive.

Ray

i used 3/16th diameter 3 strand nylon rope,i would suggest 1/16th because it isnt as bulky,plus the fly that i based it off of (Multispecies Special 2007 in-Fisherman magazine) used 1/16th diameter

Kenneth,

I don't know where you are, but gar are becoming fewer and fewer everywhere. You should work on getting all of your friends into fishing for them and do catch and release. That way they'll be here in the future.

In the South, gar have been over fished, bowhunted and killed, seined and killed, caught and thrown on the bank to die. Just about every way to kill a gar has been done, and now in many places where there used to be many, many big gar, 100, 200, 300 or more pound gar, there are no or very few small gar now. In many places, the alligator gar are totally gone, and all because people just kept killing them.

Gar should be sport fish because that may be the only way they have to survive.

Ray

Ray,

You are so right about gar on the Brazos but I know a place where they use to thrive about 7 years ago. I fished a place on the lower Bosque just outside Mcgreggor. I'd park by a bridge and hoof it up stream a good ways and I found a tea colored limestone pond that was a lot deeper than the trickle of a stream the Bosque turned into at that point. This place was loaded with huge goggle eye and some of the biggest gar I have ever seen. I tied into one with a 5wt and it went down deep, shot straight up out of the water doing the classic tail walk shaking his head like mad. Broke me off for sure but it was one of my best fishing memories in Waco. Man I miss that stream!

I think gar are cool, so it's too bad (if true) about their declining numbers. Definitely a catch and release kinda fish.

i think it totally depends on your area and the lake. many lakes are over run with rough fish like carp and gar. we mainly bowfish guntersville lake, kentucky and barkley lakes, and several lakes in KY. i kid you not when i say we see 1000's on any given night of bowfishing. i do practice catch and release on many species, but it is my feeling that when a lake is overrun by something so bad, it's not a bad idea to take a few out. not to mention we don't shoot for numbers. who wants to have a 100 slimy, stinky fish laying in the bottom of the boat? we go for size. as my personal records get higher, the fewer i shoot.

oh, and did i mention that gar taste good? the next time you catch a 20 incher or smaller, eat it. hacksaw the head off, then cut straight down the back and lay the skin open, and then carefully filet the meat. it is really white, and tastes great. but don't eat the big ones, and be careful of the eggs. the eggs are poisonous and more common in the larger gar.

btw, if you do want to catch gar on a fly rod, take a boat and go fish the banks below Barkley Dam in KY. they line those banks on any given day in the 1000s

... k

the BIG ones may indeed be less numerous than they used to. I know down here the prevailing attitude toward gar of any kind is sadly the same as the idiotic local attitude towards snakes of any kind- the only good one is a dead one.

You can drive down below the dam that forms Lake Seminole, and on the Chatahoochee below Lake Eufala and see many many 4 and 5 foot long gar, and some bigger. I don't think they are Alligator Gar, or not very many of them, but I haven't really researched it. The smaller creeks around here all have populations of spotted gar and others, and it's very common to see them, some surprisingly big for the size of the creeks they're living in.

people and their fear of snakes cracks me up. of course when i find out that someone is scared i run over to the closest wood pile i can find, catch a king snake, and then go show them. i've had some people freaked out good. granted, i'm not one to go around playing with rattlers and copperheads, but i'm not the type that kills them either. just let them go on their way. i've seen quite a few rattlers down in red river gorge and lots of copperheads down on KY Lake.

... k

i tried it a couple days ago and the gar werent very interested(probly because they are starting to spawn),but then when i tired to modify it,i trimmed a little too much off,so i had to "scrap" it <_< but i tied up one already and ill have a smaller version tied today for the canoe trip im goin on.theres plenty of gar here,last year i seen 7 gar on the canoe trip,and when i went fishing for them,there were about 5 around