Fly Tying
Hot Tuna

Go Fishing

“I learned in a rush, one of the stark and bitter lessons of human existence. With terrible clarity I learned that all the places that I would ever see and the books that I would ever read, the music that I would ever listen to, the people I would ever love, that all would one day disappear, leaving nothing behind, nothing at all. If this gave me resignation and humility, I hoped it gave me a kind of daring, a daring to live to the hilt one’s little span.” John D. Voelker

Maybe you don't recognize the name unless you're from Michigan....but you'll know his pen name....

Robert Traver, author of Trout Madness, Trout Magic, Laughing Whitefish and other wonderful books.

Judge Voelker was a member of the Michigan Supreme Court but retired from the law after his book Anatomy of a Murder. Some people say "kill all the lawyers"...this was one lawyer who was not in that group.

So with John/Robert's words in mind, make sure to go fishing this weekend.

You never know.....

Hot Tuna

PS Pick up one of his books to read while you're resting the pool. You won't be disappointed.

One of my main goals in this life is to own a "fish car" just like Johns. I'm getting close. I think the description takes up a chapter in Trout Madness. He was a "whiskey in a tin cup" kinda guy.

H.Tuna: "The Judgie" has long been my absolute favorite fly-fishing author,when it comes to sheer entertainment!! His way with a phrase is unmatched!! I only own one of his books,but have read many of the others. His passing was a singular loss for the fly fishing community,and the world in general!

Suphernut

PS: I WILL be taking the Judge's advice this week-end!!

Hot Tuna, you have it right, I'm from Michigan. The judge came to speak at one of our banquets , he was a very good speaker but loved his booze. He did have a fish car.After reading his book I got a pickup and filled it with my gear. every thing from rods waders to a float boat. All I had to do was head down the road to my favorite fishing spot. He's books are the best ,I have most of them in my library. :yahoo: :yahoo:

Very nice quote.

My line when I take off fishing with the boys in the evening and leave household chores lingering is, "I don't remember ever looking back and saying, 'Remember that one time I mowed the lawn? Wasn't that great?'"

I knew there would be fans of the Judge in here...this site rocks :headbang:

Here's one more from the Judge; this comes from an article he did in the first issue of a great little magazine called FlyFishing Heritage(Spring,1987):

"...First of all I felt that this new obsession with bigger and bigger fish was inevitably transplanting to our trout waters the whole competitive, strident, screechingly acquisitive world of business. Worse yet, that in doing so, fisherman were sacrificing one of the main rewards and solaces of going fishing at all, namely that fishing is-or at least used to be- the world's only sport that's fun even to fail at. Further by making an ego massage out of this ancient sport, these deluded souls were actually creating more not less frustrated and unhappy fisherman for the simple reason that the more fisherman there were who panted only after big fish naturally the fewer big fish there would be left to be caught. Finally it struck me as sad beyond words that fisherman would let one of the world's oldest and loveliest contemplative pastimes turn into a competitive rat race much as we have allowed modern modern basketball to degenerate into a sort of commercialized polka played by only bored pituitary freaks."

Bragging blogger syndrome???....LOL

Fish on!

Hot Tuna

PS Connecticut has it's own fly fishing judge too; retired Supreme Court Judge Francis McDonald. Hi Judge McDonald hope you're fishing like mad in your retirement from the law!

You grabbed another one of my favorites,Tuna!!! The man really could turn a phrase,couldn't he? It "sorta swweps over me" that that's one of the things we are missing in the world today...Guys who can actually say what they mean,get the point across without bending to political correctness,and still manage some dignity and grace! I've met a handful of fly-fishing personalities over the years. ( and to be sure,The Judge was NOT what we refer to today as a "personality"....it wasn't in his nature!)..Anyway,all of them were OK guys for the most part,but John Voelker is one guy that I am truly sorry I never got to meet!

Sulphernut

Halfway through Anatomy of a Murder....everything is taking place in the Upper Peninsula Michigan in case any of you U-Pers in here are interested.

Awesome book so far....