Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jonathon

These are my first flies

Thats an AWESOME first fly :headbang: !I would suggest to shorten the tail a bit.You dont want it longer than half your hook shank.Welcome to the site!And the addiction!

Nice work. I would agree that the biggest thing is the tail. The length somewhat depends on the style of fly you are tying. Like Zip said, some aim for half the shank length. There are also a lot of them that aim for one shank length, which is where I often tend to aim. The big problem with long tails is that it is easy for them to wrap down and through the gape of the hook, making the fly just not fish right. From the looks of it, you used whole hackle tips, which will be noticeably stiffer than something like marabou, so you can make them a little longer without worrying about them wrapping through the gape.

With the red and the peacock, it is somewhat reminiscent of the Alexandra. Legend has it, that fly was banned on some English waters because it caught too many fish.

Have fun.

Deeky

Very well attempted indeed!

Deeky, you are correct... the Alexandra has been banned on several British waters for that reason! IT's stupid really! I though that was the idea of fly fishing/tying: to produce a fly that catches fish! Anyway, welcome to the board and good luck!

Stu

Not allowed to fish with a fly that cathes fish!Thats the dumbest thing I have ever heard.A load of :bs:

That is a great first fly, as others have said maybe shorten the tail abit.

With regards to the Alexandra I feel if the fly was very effective and caught alot of fish then personally I can see little problem with banning it. think about it if this fly was used to catch a hell of alot of fish then if I was the fishery manager or who ever maybe in charge then I would be concerned for the handling of the fish during C&R, eventually some are going to become damaged due to poor handling. Also wheres the fun in always using this one pattern to catch fish, I prefer a challenge and to try new patterns. Just my opinion though. Anyway sorry to go off topic. That is truley a very good first fly you should be proud of yourself :headbang:.

you tied that? wow! have you ever thought about taking up bowling? :j_k:

looks great for your first, I think everyone pretty much said it all, but save it in a safe place so you can look back at it later on in life. It will bring back memories.....

keep up the great work an thanks for sharing :headbang: