Fly Tying
Skip48

Need Help With Finding Instructions on Foam Patterns

I am really a crappie jig tier and want to offer some bream/panfish flies using foam bodies and the first is the Rainy's High-Viz Ant Bodies. Next would be Chernobyl style ant's using the foam body cutter. I also could use so help with tying the legs on and making them right!

After all I do plan on offering them for sale on my web site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Skip

I just tied a few of those up two days ago. The foam ant is a killer this time of year and after you tie a few they really get pretty easy.

1. I cover the entire hook shank with thread.

2. tie in the first section of the ant body leaving a bit out the back end to look like the real thing.

3. tie in the rubber legs on either side. i leave them a bit long and trim them all out later.

4. Advance the thread up the hook shank to a point near the eye.

5. tie in the second section.

6. tie in third pair of legs.

7. the instructions do not call for this, but I found that a bit of pink high vis over the front legs goes a long way in adding to the visability of this fly.

8. Trim the front, whip finish and done.

I should add that the first legs tied in in the rear are actually two pair of legs. the two sections of rubber legs are tied along the shank on each side of the fly. I hope this helps, I'll try to post a picture of this fly this evening when I get home.

I just tied a few of those up two days ago. The foam ant is a killer this time of year and after you tie a few they really get pretty easy.

1. I cover the entire hook shank with thread.

2. tie in the first section of the ant body leaving a bit out the back end to look like the real thing.

3. tie in the rubber legs on either side. i leave them a bit long and trim them all out later.

4. Advance the thread up the hook shank to a point near the eye.

5. tie in the second section.

6. tie in third pair of legs.

7. the instructions do not call for this, but I found that a bit of pink high vis over the front legs goes a long way in adding to the visability of this fly.

8. Trim the front, whip finish and done.

I should add that the first legs tied in in the rear are actually two pair of legs. the two sections of rubber legs are tied along the shank on each side of the fly. I hope this helps, I'll try to post a picture of this fly this evening when I get home.

Thank You so much and I can't wait to see the ones you have. Also on the High-Viz Ants does the hot color go on the front or rear. I feel this is such a simple question, but I have never seen one tied and don't want to tie them back wards, LOL!

Also on the legs...I don't feel like I know the best way to tie this on. I also have seen tips that go into actually taking a needle and pulling the legs through the foam. Then there is the figure 8 tying of legs? I just am not sure what to think, but maybe your pictures will tell me what I need to know.

Thanks again,

Skip

skip,

I'm having a problem downloading the picture of the foam ant from my digital camera. As soon as my wife shows me how to do it, I'll get a picture up.

TB68

I was having trouble making my ants,beetles,etc look natural also. What I did was go out and catch some ants, ladybugs, beetles etc so I had "real" examples to copy. Got the sizes down, got the colors down, and they catch fish. I'm living my childhood over again cause when I was a kid I always had a jar of bugs.

I think maybe this is more correct than my others, but what do you guys think?

IPB Image

I am really a crappie jig tier and want to offer some bream/panfish flies using foam bodies and the first is the Rainy's High-Viz Ant Bodies. Next would be Chernobyl style ant's using the foam body cutter. I also could use so help with tying the legs on and making them right!

After all I do plan on offering them for sale on my web site.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Skip

Just where in the world do you get a foam body cutter from????

another good resource is youtube.com.... just type in "fly tying" or something along those lines and you'll get loads of videos to watch that will teach you how to accomplish many techniques in fly tying....

Wondering the same thing!

I usually sit and snip them at my desk at work or while sitting on the deck. Scissors doesn't do a very neat, quick or nice job, though.

I have a cutter it is by River Road crations inc..

WWW.riverroadcreations.com

This has lots of cutters and your fly shope or ebay will have some.

If anyone knows what cutters they may want I can get them for you if you can't find them. Just send me a PM.

Just if you are interested tell me soon as I will be putting in a order very soon.

Skip

Wondering the same thing!

I usually sit and snip them at my desk at work or while sitting on the deck. Scissors doesn't do a very neat, quick or nice job, though.

I just noticed you can buy the cutters right here on this web site's store.