Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Sagittarius62

collar for hair wing steelhead fly

Hi Sagittarius,

I prefer the hackles that are at the base of a Saddle patch, sometimes Schlappen has a tendency to be a little too weeby and oversize. If you have a packet of Schlappen there maybe some of these hackles as well.

Hope this helps,

Howard

Howard,

Thank you for your reply. I don't have any red hackle, but I am going to buy some. Not wanting to invest a ton of $ in a hackle I will not use very often, I was looking at less expensive options. Would the dyed strung saddle hackle be sufficient for a fly of this size?

Strung saddle works well, there are also hen hackles that have web to them, I'd look them over in the fly shop.

Howard

Here's a question for you. Do you plan to more display these or fish these? Only reason I ask, I like the flow of the schlappen over the saddle. Most of the rivers I'm fishing are pretty stained, and the action from the schlappen have usually outfished the saddle (and yes, I've extensively tested both on salmon and steelhead here in the NW). Though if you're fishing more "clearer" conditions I've had better luck with the saddle as a collar.

Actually this will be my first atempt at a steelhead fly. It will be for a swap on another board. That being said, I am definitely not a display caliber tyer. :D I plan to take my first shot at steelhead this fall on the Salmon River here in NY, which can be to my understanding anything from very low and clear to cafe au lait, and surging depending on the fall rains. My plan is to target a couple of the Salmon river tribs to stay away from the crowds on the main river. The strategy as I see it will be to watch the weather, and wait for a good November rain, to raise the water levels in the tribs. This apparently causes the fish to push up into the smaller tributaries temporarily. I live about 3 to 4 hours away, so a quick over night trip to react to the conditions is doable. To make a long story short, maybe the schlappen is the way to go. The prevailing flies used by most steelheaders here on the Great Lakes seem to be eggs, green rockworms, or various flashy buggers, but the other swappers beat me to those types pf patterns, so I thought this fly might bring a little variety to the swap.

I've fished out your way a few times. Mostly when I was married to my ex (she worked for the airlines, fo flew to the Great Lakes and East Coast alot to fish back then). I know I've posted this a few times on the net, so will give the super condensed version. But remember first time I went back to fish the GL's (pre internet) I was told to bring what I use for my "winter fishing". LOL. Rivers I'm fishing I use about a 1/0-2/0 on average for a salmon fly hook for my patterns tied EXTRA big and flashy. I think he had 3 times the amount of flies in ONE box then I had in all of mine. :hyst: So mine were a TAD big. BUT, I did catch a couple fish. But I started catching ALOT more when I started using his flies (and eventually tied up my own boxes to use when I went back to visit). Had friends who lived in Ohio and Michigan, so went back there alot to fish. So got used to running egg patterns and misc patterns. But found a few of my patterns tied down worked wonders (as in tied smaller in size and on hook size). I wasn't as successful, but I had some pretty good success using my patterns from here.

I did find one Lake Ontario steelhead fisherman's website were he included the Fall Favorite as one of his go to flies, so I feel good about including it in this swap. Tying it "down" sounds like good advice. I think using this hook will do the job.

i would just ask the fish, and i bet that you would get an honest awnser :)

Here's a question for you. Do you plan to more display these or fish these? Only reason I ask, I like the flow of the schlappen over the saddle. Most of the rivers I'm fishing are pretty stained, and the action from the schlappen have usually outfished the saddle (and yes, I've extensively tested both on salmon and steelhead here in the NW). Though if you're fishing more "clearer" conditions I've had better luck with the saddle as a collar.

Hey, I know you!!

And I agree. I like the look and action of schlappen. I like a webby look on my steelhead flies, and schlappen definately has that over hackle.

Jeff

Schalapen IS hackle......it's just that what off a roosters butt......tail feathers.....thass all. Only difference is the length and the webbieness. Smaller hook: Saddle or hen, larger hook: Schalapen. Case closed. But, that one point that the fellow from the Northwest made, is worth taking into account.......is it for fishing or for show? For a show fly, you really outta tye on as large a hook as you can get........looks much better in a frame and is much easier to see, specially from a distance.......hence, use Schlapen. For fishing, specialy on the Great Lake tribs., smaller hooks are predominately used and the saddle hackle will do the job. Depending though.......you really might wanna try and find some nice mottled hen hackle......(some dyed as well), it's definately wourff the investment......you'll also use the smaller feathers for trout flies. Whiting sells it all......and so much more.......lol. Check out the Bird Fur, hehehe.....just my two cents. mark (willow) B)

Well, he said he's doing it for a swap, which I'm sure by now is over, but for a swap, I'd do saddle. It's more "presentable."

Jeff

Right Jeff, i noticed that the date(s) were a bit ago......just figgered a Newbie could use the suggestions. And your right all the way..........while at the same time, remembering, "presentable" is all in the eye of the beholder. .....lol, i'd bet your a 10%er...... ;) i got used to gettin' Skunked years ago.........hehehehe. mark