Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Faster Fish

Justice?

I have alluded to this in the past, and it is the reason lately I have been off my game. Luckily, I have a good boss and he understands I am going through some stuff.

About two years ago my sister was murdered by her ex-husband. He was drunk and on cyrstal-meth when he did it. Between that time and now I he has been in prison. Even though I miss my sister, I felt at peace with it because I felt that eventually he would get first degree and would never see the outside of the prison again. It is what helped me sleep at night.

He finnally went to trial last week. It took all of three days to convict the guy. But he didn't get first degree, he got second. Which means he can get out of prison eventually. His sentance could be anywhere from 10 to 22 years. This may at first seem alot, but consider that two years are already gone. To think that this a@@@@@@ could get out in 8 years fill me with absolute rage. I can't even discribe how mad I am. I just sit at the edge of a river and weep because I miss my sister so much and I am so angry at the justice system that they would allow this to happen. I feel like a horible brother because I hadn't talked to her in a while and I didn't know that things where this bad. We had begged her to move back to michigan to get her and her two boys away from this guy, but she wouldn't do it.

I am not realy looking for sympathy. I pray that God will help me to see some kinda of rational in all this. To see something good come from it like he promises " All things work to the good for those who love Him." I just can't see it right now and I don't know what to do.

Thanks for listening.

might look into trying to confront him I know some corrections departments have a program that allows family members to sit and talk to the person that commited the crime it might bring you some clousure to just get what your feeling off your chest

So sorry.....

"I'll be alright. I'll be alright.

I'll be alright someday.

Deep in my heart I do believe....

I'll be alright someday.

If trouble calls....I don't pay no mind.

I'll be alright someday.

Deep in my heart I do believe...

I'll be alright someday."

Reverend Gary Davis

Hey FF I was just having a look-see at what has been happening here while I am doing all of my non-winter stuff and I found this.

First let me say how sorry I am for the loss of your sister, I know all too well what losing someone close to you is like. I also know that no matter what kind words and thoughts come your way, nothing will really make the hurt go away, you learn to live around it, but it will never be gone. Mourning is a personal thing and we all deal with it in our own way. Many people seem to think this process should have a time limit on it, but that is just not true, you mourn and try and move on as much as you can.

I lost one of my brothers some years back, to a hitch-hiker with a pistol and a need to escape another murder he committed earlier that day. That being said, murder was not the worst of the atrocities but this is a family web site and I will expound no further. My brother gave him a ride as far as he was going in the middle of nowhere and when he pulled over the kid shot him six times, then drove up the Alaska Hwy and dumped his body and took the car.

To make a long story short, my Dad and the police tracked the kid down and he went to court as an adult, the first time it had happened in Canada, having a minor elevated to adult court due to an age technicality.

Here in Canada they have two things you may not have there I am not sure.

First they have the Dangerous Offenders" Act which says that even if they are given a "life" sentence (Here that is 25 years with no parole at best, they can be elevated to a Dangerous offender and will never get out.

Then they have the "Faint Hope" clause which is meant give this offender some faint hope that he could get out if he betters himself, though that part is just a guess.

So every time there is a parole hearing we submit our victim impact statements and my mother goes to attend the hearings, but each time he has canceled the parole request. This last time a very brave young lady came forward and had him charged with another atrocity that happened before her mother was murdered by the same fellow.

I know this is my story, but I want you to know that you have an empathetic friend up here and I want you to know that the way I found to best live my life and deal with the loss of Jamie, was to live my life as a winner. To rise above and beyond the hatred that can stunt my life and my own journey and to live it as Jamie would want me to.

The animal that did this will probably never be anything more than he is and you are already a winner, focus on it, your life and all that was good about her and gain your revenge in just continuing to be a good person.

When Jesus left the world he asked one very basic thing of us that I try my best to subscribe to. "Be good to one another."

While I only know you from your participation in swaps and your posts, I would have to say that you are a good person and I suspect she may have wanted you to continue on this path, a tribute to her and a thumbed nose at him.

Take care and go fishing alot. :)

I'm sorry for both of your losses.

Your rage is understandable, Faster Fish. I pray that you find a way beyond it.

Very moving story and inspirational perspective, Inconnu.

Sentencing came back yesterday. The guy got 22 years, which is the max he could get. He will also be incarserated as a tier 1 inmate. This means that he will be put in with the most violent criminals. When they get a new guy that don't really care if they killed a guy, but when it is a woman or a child, they work them over fairly well.

I still feel cheated. Counseling is helping with the rage. Only God a time will be able to heal this one.

Randy

Faster Fish

As the others have stated, I am sorry for your loss and I understand your aggervation with the justice system. I would like to add one thing that I do know for sure, most states will allow the victims family members to speak at most parole hearings where violent crimes were involved. When the times comes for that, it may give you a chance to voice your concerns to the parole board and maybe even effect the outcome of the parole.

Until that time you and your family will be in our thoughts.

Jeff

these posts put what most of us think of as a "bad day" in clear perspective. Prayers for both of you and your families.

don't ever try to bury your feelings deep inside you, and don't let them become all-consuming either. It's a hard balance to find, but you'll get through it.