Fly Tying
SteveW

Fly Rod-Reel

I am new to fly fishing and really know nothing about the rods and reels.Everything i read talks about line wt and rod wt.I recently received a Pflueger rod(#315fy) and a pflueger medalist 1495DA reel.These were given to me as a gift and i dont know how to figure the wt.How can i tell if the rod is a 5wt,6wt,7wt etc.Is there a book anyone recommends or is there a simple way to figure this out?The rod is 7 ft long.

Thank you.Any help at all will be appreciated.-SteveW

There is a formula for determining what weight line a rod will handle...I read it right here (either here,or on the rod building forum,accessable here) It is a bit of work,but from everything I've read can be relied upon as accurate!

Sulphernut

The recommended line wt should be on printed on the rod above the handle. Just by the model # I would guess it's a 5 wt (315) but that's just a guess. If it's not printed on the rod, I'd go to the Pflueger web site, you should be able to get some info there.

Worse case scenario, take it to a fly shop, or a buddy with a bunch of fly lines, and see which one it casts well. I did this to an old glass rod a friend had his dad gave him. We got it figured out, and he still fishes it once in a while.

I took your advice and tried different lines and the 5wt casts best.Now I need to learn to cast a little better.Thanks for all the advice.

The "315" is the series. Pflueger made a series of rods called the 315 series (along with tons of other series desiginated by numbers) so none of the numbers in the "315" will help indicate the WT of the rod.

FY was Pflueger's way to signify that it was a fly rod. FY=Fly, SP=Spinning and so on...

The 1495 reel is a pretty large reel (holds up to a 10wt line) but back some years ago thats the reel that came on alot of the Pflueger combo kits, even for their smaller 5/6wt rods. Alot of the older Pfluegers were shorter rods like yours (7ft) even in the larger WT models, and most were dual rated by Pflueger as ethier 4/5wt 5/6wt 7/8wt. Because of the reel thats on it and guessing the 315 series is an older model, if I had to guess I would guess its most likely a 5/6wt rod which was a pretty popular size on alot of the older Pflueger's when they were sold as combos.

Try to see if theres anymore letters or numbers just ahead of the grip if you can.

Steve