Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kenneth K

Renzetti Presentation 2000 Vise

ok, i know there was a big fat topic on vises, and i've read the majority of the 20 pages on that. but i was wondering if anyone has any experience behind a renzetti presentation 2000? i'd like to get a new vice and i'm willing to spend $250 on one. it is a good looking vise and i've read a lot of good things about the renzetti products and have had other renzettis recommended. i tie quite a few flies in the 1/0 to 3/0 range for saltwater, and of course many in the 12-20 range for trout. the renzetti presentation is appealing because the one set of jaws covers the entire range.

not to start another 20 page topic, what do you guys think? :D

thanks.. k

I have not had any experience with it, But any thing renzetti makes is worth what you pay for it! I want this vise, But my vise isn't worn out yet, And it will more than likely last a while yet. <_<

Go for it, I have several Renzetti vises and they are excellent. Fantastic customer service and spare parts are readily available ( I like to customize my vises and modify stock Renzetti parts).

Masters

Presentation 4000 with Clouser Arm

Presentation 3000 with Midge Jaws

Traveler

Tube Fly Vise

Regards,

FK

Ken,

If you tie a lot of saltwater patterns I would highly recommend the Dyna-King Trekker. I bought one a while back and they have excellent holding power on larger size hooks. Nothing aganist the Renzetties but the DK is less expensive and every bit as good, especially on larger hooks. You can get one for about $180 from Hook&Hackle on line (you get a 20% discount when you order online).

Dave

I have the Renzetti presentation 4000, and I tie in the 5/0 to 20 range all on the same jaws, all with one single adjustement on the thumbscrew. This vise works like a charm for me. The Dyna-King is a good vise too. Just be careful of the jaws, half the people I know who have them love them, the other half hate them. I have never tried myself, I just know the Renzetti works for me.

Good luck, it's not important what we think, only what you think, it's your vise after all.

I have tied on a Rnzetti since the 1970's. Last year I spent about five months in the hospital. The only thing that kept me going was that I could get back to my fly tying. A month after I got home I went over to the fly shop for some dubbing. Joe got all the stuff I needed but then he brought over a new Renzetti 2000 vise.

I spent about three weeks lusting after that vise. A long story short I brought it home. It is Fantastic, yes it's a bit pricey but believe me it's worth it. You just can't beat a Renzetti vise. My old Renzetti is now my travel vise and still is as good as it was thirty seven years ago. Oh yes , I gave my traveler to one of the kids in our group. :yahoo:

thanks for the responses guys. yeah, my toss up is between the renzetti and the DK Trekker. i like both, but i keep going back to the renzetti. it may just be the name.

thanks again... k

I believe that I'm about to come into a cool $500 for reccomending someone for a job where I work. I'm thinking of replacing my $27 vice with a Renzetti (like ditching a ten speed for a Cadillac). I don't always buy the best of everything, but I love to buy "the last X I will ever need to own" and knowing that stretches 50 years forward is very cool.

Anyway... so Renzetti is what I want. I don't tie much larger than a size 2, but plan on tying down to 24 or maybe smaller over this winter.

So the Renzetti 2000? Or another Renzetti?

I do plan to hit the shops in town and test drive as much as I can but any advice on the Renzetti line options would be appreciated!

Madkasel -- I believe the Orvis, in Middleton, has a Traveler Cam, and a Presentation 4000 on site. I purchased a 4000 from Fontana last year and have had no regrets. It's a very nice vise. I'm sure the 2000 is very nice, but doubt it's as sturdy as the 4000. Great price however.

The Renzetti Presentation 4000 is constructed of stainless steel and brass, with some small parts of aluminum.

The Presentation 2000 is constructed of mostly aluminum, that is the reason for lower price.

Functionally they are basicly identical, same jaws and rotary control features.

Regards,

FK

For you folks in Wisconsin, if Orvis is out of stock of vises (or anything else for that matter), TightLines in DePere just outside of Green Bay has everything you could ever want. Some people like myself prefer to see stuff before they buy it, and I used a Renzetti Master, Presentation 4000, and Dyna King all at that shop before I bought mine.

I have yet to make it to the Orvis shop in Middleton, but I cannot bring myself to go in their, I saw it from outside once and it looked more like a clothing store than a fly shop, and a friend stopped and said all they had working in the fly area that day was a high schooler who never made a cast in his life. Not a very good representative of our sport. Hopefully they get better, and punt the clothing in favor of actual fly fishing gear.

Good luck with your purchases.

For you folks in Wisconsin, if Orvis is out of stock of vises (or anything else for that matter), TightLines in DePere just outside of Green Bay has everything you could ever want. Some people like myself prefer to see stuff before they buy it, and I used a Renzetti Master, Presentation 4000, and Dyna King all at that shop before I bought mine.

I have yet to make it to the Orvis shop in Middleton, but I cannot bring myself to go in their, I saw it from outside once and it looked more like a clothing store than a fly shop, and a friend stopped and said all they had working in the fly area that day was a high schooler who never made a cast in his life. Not a very good representative of our sport. Hopefully they get better, and punt the clothing in favor of actual fly fishing gear.

Good luck with your purchases.

I'll be certain to hit TightLines next time up in the Fox River Valley!

What you don't wear clothes?!?!?

The first half or so of the Orvis store is nice high-end clothing and stuff... I think it's a big part of why they can stay in business. It's in a fairly yuppyish mall. I bought a really nice Buzz Off shirt there that I love to take fishing in hot weather instead of a vest.

The back half is mostly fly fishing gear (and a generous dose of cool stuff for your dog). The best selection of fly tying materials I've ever encountered, by far. Normally there's some pretty good help in there. Real nice guys. Nice little tying desk with threads and hooks and materials and stuff to test out vices and tools. My boy usually sits down and ties a fly that they let him take.

I get a coupon from them every other month or so for $25 off of purchases of $50 more and head over and buy roughly $55 worth of stuff! That's mostly when I go.

Madkasel -- I believe the Orvis, in Middleton, has a Traveler Cam, and a Presentation 4000 on site. I purchased a 4000 from Fontana last year and have had no regrets. It's a very nice vise. I'm sure the 2000 is very nice, but doubt it's as sturdy as the 4000. Great price however.

Thanks for the advice! I'll go give it a test drive. I'd prefer to buy from Craig at Fontana if he has it, so I'll be sure to head over there as well.

Nice to see somebody else from the general neighborhood 'round this board.

Thanks for the advice! I'll go give it a test drive. I'd prefer to buy from Craig at Fontana if he has it, so I'll be sure to head over there as well.

Nice to see somebody else from the general neighborhood 'round this board.

I don't think Craig replaced the 4000. Sometime's Fontana is a bit slow when re-supplying tying gear. They have a few Traveler Cams, and a couple Regals... I have no clue what is at their downtown store. Yes, I would purchase from Craig first, if he has it. Todd, at Orvis, is a good guy though, and with their frequent coupons, a 4000 will be cheaper at Orvis.

Oh, yes... Go Badgers!