Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
monty3777

trout streamers for bass

I am tying some streamers (twin tailed madonnas) and wonder if any of you have used streamers for Bass? They seem like they would work well!

Nate

I use many types of streamers for bass all the time. If you're going after largemouths don't be afraid to go big with your streamers, like 4 and 5 inches long. If going for smallmouths, sometimes they prefer slightly smaller offerings, but mostly they'll hammer large streamers too. If you're used to fishing for trout, forget about all that and convince yourself you are fishing for bass.

I use many types of streamers for bass all the time. If you're going after largemouths don't be afraid to go big with your streamers, like 4 and 5 inches long. If going for smallmouths, sometimes they prefer slightly smaller offerings, but mostly they'll hammer large streamers too. If you're used to fishing for trout, forget about all that and convince yourself you are fishing for bass.

don't know why the double post... anyhow, many patterns of streamers and bucktails have been designed or invented specifically for bass, including the famous Clouser deep-minnow.

I sold 6 dozen classic trout streamers to a guy last spring for bass. Grey ghosts, little brook trouts, little rainbows, black ghosts etc... I haven't tried it my self but I think bass will eat any fly that is presented the right way