Fly Tying
JayMorr

Grahm question for you...

Grahm, I picked up a new Canon XTi 400D for $300ish. I decided to purchase the body only since the lense kit it comes with is similar to the lense I have on my Canon 35mm.

Question for you, I have a decent wide angle lense which is pretty standard. What lense would you go with for zoom capabilities? I am looking at the $600-1200 range on a decent zoom lense. Should I move into the Image Stabilizer options?

Let me know what you think. Also, as far as memory cards go, I have not been using CF cards much. Should I be in the x120 speed range with the DSLR's?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Hi Jay,

I really am not very familiar with Canon gear, about all I know in general is that is it great. I look forward to seeing what Wulff and other Canon shooter's suggest.

I have heard wonderful things about the Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM Telephoto Zoom Lens for Canon SLR Cameras. The lens sells for about $1,400 new but likely less used.

I very rarely use IS (VR on Nikon) because most of my telephoto work is focused on birds, and using shutter speeds above 500th second keeps the image sharp.

Here's a shot I took this morning using a 300mm f/4 lens with no VR. The sun was too high and harsh. This is a full frame shot horizontally, with a bit cropped off the top. I wish I had a 100-400 lens! I took a bunch of photos this morning using the 300 and many times I was either too close or too far, and wished I had a telephoto zoom other than my 70-200. I dream about the Nikon 200-400, but I can't afford it...

post-992-1189025560_thumb.jpg

I have to say that I'm really excited for you regarding a new telephoto lens purchase.

Graham

Graham.

Awesome info! Thanks so much for your response. I am going to hold out on a lens for a bit and maybe rent a few from a local shop. I will play around with them before making the purchase. Your shot looks good. I appreciate all your help!

John (Wulff) swears by that lens for bird photography!

But first, tell me where the heck you picked up an Xti for 300? I've been looking around (Xti is probably what I'll get) and they're all around 600...

Memory cards first.

Look at Sandisk Ultra or Extreme III. Most cameras cant write to the cards fast enough to take advantage of the cards speeds. Ive used nothing but Sandisk and everyone I shoot with uses them as well and Ive yet to hear of a card failing. The other reason I like the Extremes is that they are designed for cold temps. Bottom line if security of your data is improtant than just get Sandisk ultra or extreme. Ive never heard of any failures.

Lenses.

Alot harder to answer. First I would try to figure out what type of shooting you primarily want to do. If you want mid range zooms there are lenses like the 70-200 f4 or f2.8 L. All four of them are fantastic lenses, suitable to a wide variety. There are also prosumer lenses like the 70-300 IS. They are short for wildlife and in particular birds where you want 400mm.

The 100-400L IS.

Proably one of if not the best all purpose lens made by any maker.

It can do landscapes

IPB Image

Because of its close MFD its great for flowers

IPB Image

And of coarse wildlife at 400mm

IPB Image

Its not cheap but you should be able to find one in your range. Up here (Cda) its 2000 new after taxes and well worth it if you want an all purpose lens that can goto to zoo, shoot the kids at the park and/or shoot wildlife. Its also great at car races and air shows when you want to be able to zoom in and out.

Its downside ( its all about tradeoffs). Its heavy, expensive, tends to be a bit soft at 400mm and wide open (f5.6) nor is it as sharp as the 400 f5.6 L and nowhere near as fast to focus. But if you arent a die birder those attributes matter less. Loved mine, I only sold it because Im a die hard birder and wanted the faster focusing and slightly sharper 400mm prime

IS lenses.

Some people love it. I never *really* need them. Its nice to have but an expensive option. Usually Im well over 1/500th with my 400mm so its not a big deal for me and when Im not over that I usually have support in the form of a Bushhawk. I dont think theres a right/wrong here. Whatever works best imo. Shorter focal lengths only really need IS when in very low light and even then you can open the lens wide if its fast enough to compensate.

Sunrise at 1/2000th thanks to a f1.8.

IPB Image

A slower lens like an f4 might have needed IS or support to avoid "shake"

Figure out what you primarily want the lens for and then get the best you can. Glass last forever and will travel with you from body to body if/when you ever change bodies. The 70-200 f4 (non is) is regarded as one of Canons sharpest and is a fantastic lens and well within your budget. Up here (Cda) they are going for about 600-700. You could then save some coin while you figure out if you really want to get a long lens at this point. Or just go to something like 100-400L, or even a long prime but be sure you want a long lens if you look at that option.

/edited or clarification

i shoot a canon 20d and the 70-200 f2.8. i love that lens. i looked at the 100-400 and read that they tend to have a vacuum effect and suck dust. i picked up my lens used for $700. if i were buying new, i'd cough up the extra $400 and get the IS version of this lens. also, i would recommend sticking with the L series lenses. good glass makes all the difference.

Very interesting. And gorgeous photography John.

From reading the reply from Kenneth K, I got to thinking about how much I love my 70-200 2.8. It's a great lens and complements my wide angle nicely. When traveling I mostly just carry the wide angle 17-55 and 70-200 in my small camera bag.

Graham

For $1200, you could get the 70-300 and the 100 macro and still have change in return. The 70-300 is a very good prosumer lense, and the IS is very handy when needed. It does have a drawback -- the external focus mechanism can be problematic if using a polarizing filter.

A fun lense to have is the 100mm macro. Great sharp lense for portraits and a very nice macro. It is my favorite prime lense for the money. I know, you didn't ask about macros, but for $1200 you could have 2 very nice lenses that will work very well with your XTI. These lenses will also serve you well if you ever go full frame.

I have to agree with you, troutgeek, that a telephoto zoom/macro is a good lens because of their versatility and bang for the buck. I have them for both the EF and FD mount Canons from 300mm on down to 70mm. I use them a lot as a primary lens when I head out.

Found that for sharpness at distance, I'll use a telephoto lens without macro or a prime lens. For portraits or special shots, a fixed focal length prime lens gives me better sharpness. Keep in mind that I still am using film only. The prime lenses get a workout when I take pictures that I know stand a good chance of being blown up or enlarged. Only have prime lenses for the FD mounts so the manual cameras still get lots of use.

Other than sharpness, a prime lens forces me to slow down and think of what I'm shooting and how it's being composed to suit the lens. Hate to say that rushing a shot is my biggest weakness regardless of the lens I use.

I bought a used Sigma 28-105mm Aspherical lens for the EF mounts recently and found it to be a dream to use with screw in filters as all the focusing is done internally with no rotation externally. Think I'm going to be buying Sigma or internal focus lenses when I can. Sure beats messing with a filter adjustment all the time.

JayMorr has the right idea about trying before buying. Wish that I had that option here. That Canon EF 100-400mm IS lens is on my dream list as I've heard a lot of good things about it from a couple of local photographers even though I'd rather have the 500mm lens.

Ernie

Ernie, Michael Reichmann's site "The Luminous Landscape" has terrific reviews of most Canon lenses. (look for "Canon Lenses - a Personal Selection"} Michael's essays mostly are based on hands-on experience and are not overly technical. As far as sharpness goes, zooms have come a long way in the past decade or so, especially the high-end stuff. I use a Canon 24-105 f/4L IS as a walkaround lens on my 5D, and the image quality it provides is comparable to the medium format stuff I've done over the years. BTW, if you're planning on hauling a 500mm lens around those mountains of yours, your legs must be holding up a lot better than mine are. (LOL)

Awesome info guys! Thanks Wulff! Frogfish, do a google search on Canon Rebel XTi DSLR body and you can check out a few of the shopcart sites that carry the body between $300-400.

I actually picked my XTi body up new for 229.00 the next day they raised it to $349.00

Also a tip, before ordering....call them up and make sure they have it in stock. Some online dealers claim to have a great price and do, but you wait 3 or 4 weeks before you get it due to backorder issues.

I happened to time it right and I paid for overnight shipping! It is NEW, comes with an extended warranty and came with everything minus the lens since I already have a lens better then the one that Canon puts in their kit.

I hope that helps!

Just look around and you will find a good deal. THe best deal I have found for the camera with the lens is Broadwayphoto.com THey have the XTi 400d for $500ish....here is the link for you ;)

http://www.bwayphoto.com/viewproduct.aspx?id=3225419

Enjoy!

Hi JayMorr,

I'm wondering if you bought your camera from Broadway Photo? I have found that unusually low prices offered by some on-line retailers result in problems. Do a Google search for "Broadway Photo scam". Looks a bit scary...

I bought my D200 from one of the lowball web sites. They tried the bait and switch, then mentioned they could only sell the D200 as a kit with numerous accessories. I went for the macro kit. I didn't get the lens or macro ring-light, my D200 is has no warranty because it is a foreign gray market version. They overcharged my credit card by a $1000. I had to cancel the card because my number was suddenly being used for lots of food and dating services in NY. The enitre experience was a real pain in the butt.

I've had good service with Amazon and Adorama. I have never ordered through B&H, but they are also at the top of the list of reputable on-line camera retailers. I'm sure there are many more good companies, but watch out for the crooks.

Graham

Just for the record - Broadway Photo (It also does business under several other names) is one of Reseller Ratings lowest ranked stores for customer satisfaction. (1.15 out of a possible 10) There are a lot of horror stories out there concerning sites that offer too-good-to-be-true deals. Broadway Photo is reputed to be one of them. Caveat emptor.

Hi Group,

I've done a lot of business with B&H and they have been great to work with though I've only bought one camera through them. In my film days I bougth 35mm slide film by the case. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Flyfisher magazine

Hey guys...no problems here. I have my camera and am very pleased! Maybe I got lucky!!! I love it. Thank to you all I have a bunch of glass on the wish list. I will be sure to purchase somewhere safe next time.

I will link a couple of pics I took tonight...