Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutbum421

Alaskabou Question

What type of marabou should I use to tie these up? It looks like blood quill which I have but I could be wrong. Also, looking for some recipes for the Blue Moon, Volcano and Flesh versions. Thanks

I have found blood quill packs to have been either really good (every 4th feather good) or really bad (Only 10 good feathers in the pack) so you have to hunt through each pack in the store to get a really good one. I have found the best most consistant marabou from the longer marabou feathers. You have to strip 3/4 of the feather off and just use the tips to get the whispies but they seem to be longer than blood quills. Select the marabou carefully, if it looks clumped together or has a "Damp" look to it, use it for bugger tails. It must look dry and whispy.

Hairline sells select marabou. 10 perfect feathers for like 3.50ish. I use blood quill but I find most of the feathers are OK for Alaskabou and Popsicle flies. Like shaq said dry wispy feathers not the clumpy ones