Fly Tying
JayMorr

Lets see your B & W's

Hi

Interesting discussion:)

I find it interesting seeing B&W images from digital files. Other than sepia type looks you see very little subtle toning done. In the wet chemistry version of B&W, different papers and toning solutions produced subtle variations. I always liked to think of B&W work as monochromatic rather than black and white, as in every print I ever made there was a hint of color tinge from the papers and chemistry. Some papers were warm ( more brownish)some colder (more bluish). Often the paper/toner choice was based on the subject matter.

Just had to play with a digi file for fun, to see what happens-

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Will

Yeah, what Hardy said - there isn't much that a filter can do that can't be done in Photoshop. There's also some pretty neat software out there made by a company named "Nik" that will duplicate the effect of just about any filter you can screw onto a lens, including NDs and polarizers. You can use it as a PS plug-in, and you never have to worry about dropping it onto a rock. Plus, you can use the extra space in your bag to store your psychedelic mushrooms. (just kidding) Haven't bought it yet, but I plan to when I get my new desktop, which is on the horizon.

The only disadvantage I've found when shooting RAW is file size - I get about 120 pix on a 2GB card as opposed to 340 large JPEGs. The images are noticeably better, so it's a good tradeoff for me at least. 120 pix are the equivalent of 12 rolls of 120 film - one more reason to love digital, as anyone who's loaded MF film in the wind and rain can attest to.

Congratulations Matt! Pretty crazy that our sons were born 3 days apart and both on our birthdays. . Like you said before, very cool to share a birthday with your son. Miles has become my new favorite subject!

IPB Image

IPB Image

Hey Peterjay, Thanks for the heads up and reminder. I have the Nik filter software and forgot about the B&W filters. I tried a few of the warming filters when the software was downloaded, wasn't very impressed, and since then forgot I had them. I'll try an re-do some of my B&W's with the NIk software. The NIK software opens everytime I open Photoshop and I've just become so accustomed to seeing the little NIK box in the lower right hand corner of the screen that I don't even notice it.

Hey, congratulations to the new dads! Graham, I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the Nik software. The reviews I've read have been positive, but it always helps to see some hands-on stuff. The way I look at it, the software is cheap enough that if there's one filter in the bunch that helps me sell one or two prints, then it's paid for itself. At least that's the rationale I use when I'm explaining to my wife why I have 35 poker books. (Actually, it's true, but that's beside the point LOL)

It's been a long time since I've taken a camera to one of my job sites, but that changed today. I had to inspect six solar energy inverters before they were sealed up and noticed lots of color and light contrast and fired off this shot. Nothing real exciting looking but I did try the Nik B&W filter. I think it looks ok. But honestly, I really don't feel sure what I'm supossed to be looking for with B&W, except if it looks pleasing.

post-992-1192480018_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the great discussion here on the B&W stuff guys...Its something I have been wanting to play around with ..

Graham, those are some pretty big capacitors in that unit..And I like the contrast you got on this photo..

Graham, subject matter aside, that pic looks pretty good to me. As far as what to look for goes, if you find it pleasing, you probably don't need to look any further. Volumes have been written about what you should do, what you need to do, blah, blah, blah, but it's all arbitrary and a lot of it is ego-driven nonsense. All the legendary photographers wrote their own rules and broke them whenever they felt like it. The great Duke Ellington was asked one time how he could tell if a piece was good or not, and his reply was: "If it sounds good, it is good." He may have been talking about music, but the same principle could be applied to any form of self-expression, including photography. Just my two cents worth.

This is a bridge close to where I live.

This one has just a little warm color to it,

post-3929-1192755993_thumb.jpg

This one I did with layering.

post-3929-1192756021_thumb.jpg

Ashby

Here is one I took at a park yesterday..The sun shining through a fir tree..

IPB Image