Fly Tying
Eric Brown

This is what happens when the mail doesn't arrive...

So, some of you may have see my original post, "Coming back to fly tying while deployed." That post resulted in a number of generous donations which, in turn, will probably supply two new fly tying clubs that will be started here in Afghanistan.

Anyway some of the stuff started to arrive, then the mail flights stopped and stuff stopped arriving. This left me in a bit of a state. Here were all these wonderful fly tying supplies and I am stuck with out a vise. With no vice, I can't really tie flies (I at least couldn't find intructions on tying without a vise).

After a few days of starring at the stuff I gave up... Some scrap metal, a few bolts and a little welding later... I have my fix...

post-12348-1192719639_thumb.jpgpost-12348-1192720943_thumb.jpgpost-12348-1192721184_thumb.jpg

I need a wrench to tighten it, and the whip finishing tool is a paper clip but its working for now and as you can see, I am getting the practice in on flies, which is what I need.

Its not beautiful, but it works. I have to be careful, if I hit the "vise" with the thread it'll cut it off, because of the rough edges. The flies aren't pretty either but thats me not the vise I am sure, and they are getting better. Anyway thanks all for the supplies and as always, I'll let you know when flights start getting through again and the other packages start arriving.

My mechanic did the welding and gave me all the stuff I used. Told him I would mention him.

Anyway, Thanks again, and tight lines!

Eric

If the pictures are too big let me know... I'll try and fix it.

now that is awesome!.. nice whip finish tool by the way, i didnt know a paper clip could be bent like that haha. nice thinking though, glad to see you can tie some flies. ever need anythign else let me know, i live pretty close to a cabelas and a bass pro and an awesome fly shop. so i can see waht i can do for you

I will ship you a regal vise tomorrow, along with a whip finisher, some bobbins thread, hooks and supplies. What you end up with duplicates of, distribute to your buddies.

I hope this didn't come across as a request for more vises. I won't turn 'em down, I am sure we can use them for the clubs. But I really didn't want to come across as though I was fishing for stuff...

That said I thought you'd all get a kick out of my solution for a current lack of tools (soon to be remedied, as soon as mail starts flying again).

Thanks as always, again all of your generosity and support is definatley appreciated, by everyone here. Thank you all again.

Eric

very cool, there is an article about the Ajar Valley in Afghanistan that mentions a bit ablout fly fishing, you may get to wet those flies if you get lucky! I hope so.

March 17, 2004

Hindu Kush: Paradise Lost

Jonathan Ledgard transports us to hidden geographic anomaly in the Hindu Kush, a valley called the Ajar, the hunting grounds of the Afghan king. This is a place where armies feared to go, but where the king once hunted snow leopards and steppe eagles. That Mr. Ledgard took along his fly rod to a land where 3 walnuts is a fine gift is pretty remarkable. In the Atlantic Monthly online.

http://www.theatlantic.com/issues/2004/04/ledgard.htm

Good luck,

Steve

I hope this didn't come across as a request for more vises. I won't turn 'em down, I am sure we can use them for the clubs. But I really didn't want to come across as though I was fishing for stuff...

With y'all over there risking your lives for America, you don't need to think or mention this. We know you're not asking.

What else do you need, more vises actually, bobbins, what? Tell us exactly what you need and we'll get it on the way to you. When will you get deliveries again, or do you have any idea?

Ray

Well. I need to get in touch with the group up north and find out what they need and get an idea on the numbers they are planning on for the club. Once I do that I can post what we will need.

As for mail... No clue when we'll get it. As the weather gets colder the moutains get tougher to fly over. That combined with small weight limits (2000lb per shipment, personnel and mail combined) means it can be days or weeks before they get us stuff. We had a few come in this past week but they stopped again so... who knows.

I posted my address in my other post. If you like, I can also post it here or PM anyone with it. As we get things going, and as personnel change I'll post the new addresses.

Thank you all again!!

Eric

Eric, glad to see you are using the fly boxes I sent. I hope you have away of listening to the "music to tie by."

If you end up carrying a rifle here is a MC grunt trick. When you are loading your mags dump two rounds in and get a tracer from the SAW man and load it third then put the rest in [ two less than max ]. When your tracer is outgoing it is time to change mags. It worked with my m-14.

Semper Fi

Eric,

Why don't you post your address here, and send me a copy at [email protected] When you figure out what you need, let us know, and we'll see what we can do! I'm sure you'll get what you need.

Also when you post a heading for your message, please make sure its one we can all identify like Afgan Soldier Flytyers Need:, something that catches everyones' attention.

I bought a DanVise last week because Bud and others were talking about them so much:

IPB Image

Danvise

by: Danica

SKU: OF-900805-0000

Product Overview:

This vise was one of the first true rotary vises to break the $100 price barrier, and has won a loyal following. In a design that has been emulated by other companies, the Danvise allows alignment of the hook shank with the axis of rotation, so that when rotated with the crank handle, the shank remains stationary. The jaws hold hooks ranging from size 28 up to 2/0 securely, and the vise stem is adjustable up to a full 6 ½″ and has a C–clamp base. A bobbin rest and instruction DVD are included.

Other Details:

The vise stem diameter measures 10 mm (just over 25/64″), and vise accessories made for 3/8″ stems such as bases, trim bags and stem–mounted lights may not fit this vise.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

They are light weight and apparently sturdy according to everyone. I thought 3 or 4 or more of those would probably work well in your situation. I know I can send you the 3 or 4, plus other things; everyone else will have to decide what they can do.

We can all talk about it here and kind of coordinate what we do hopefully.

Ray

Nice stuff you made! gotta love fly tying clubs! maybe if we teach the afghans to tie they will drop there weapons and pick up fly rods! could be a great idea in the making!!