Fly Tying
harleyhunter

Kelly Galloup Interview for Hatches

Hey Guys,

Kelly Galloup has agreed to an interview for Hatches Magazine. Kelly Galloup owns The Slide Inn. The Slide Inn is located on the banks of the Madison River, one of the most famous fly fishing rivers in the world. Mr. Galloup also has over 40 recognized fly patterns.

Kelly has written two books "Modern Streamers for Trophy Trout" and "Cripples and Spinners". Kelly has been published in nearly every major fly fishing magazine in the country.

Please post any questions you would like to see in the interview. This is your chance to ask the professionals what you wanna know. Come on guys and lets make it a great interview.

Best Wishes,

Sam

Question: How do you determine what materials to use on an original pattern? Follow up question: What are your 5(?) favorite materials to use? Why?

Thanks Sam.

Later...

What are his thoughts on using some of his trophy trout tactics on warmwater fish? Does he do a significant amount of this type of fishing? Has he found any similarities or differences on how to use these techniques for trout vs black bass etc.?

Come on guys lets get those questions. This is your chance to ask a pro questions about a hobby you love and they have mastered.

-Sam

Kelly:

-- How has your tying experience in the Great Lakes area influenced your tying, your use of materials and techniques, out West?

-- With increasing barbless fishing regulations and the importance of ethical considerations, do you fish with barbless flies and/or sell them at Slide Inn? Randall Kaufman, the father of the Stimulator series of patterns, recently mandated that Umpqua tie all of his patterns on barbless hooks; and Rene Harrop of the House of Harrop on the Henry's Fork in Idaho, uses babrless hooks in his popular 36-Fly Assortment, sold largely by supply houses such as Cabelas. Do you anticipate that this trend in commercial tying will continue to grow? and why?

-- Instead of using simply barbless equivalents of the standard barbed hooks designed by the major hook manufacturers, competition anglers here in the States and around the world, who are required to fish barbless, have recognized the need for different, specifically barbless hooks. These hooks typically have longer spears, sharper points, deeper throats, 'tweaked' or off-set, and beaked, points -- similar to the TMC 2499SP-BL hook. These designs hold fish much better than crimped, barbed hooks or mere barbless equivalents of standard hooks. Do you think that with an increasing demand for barbless hooks/flies, the manufacturers' designs will, in turn, evolve? As a shop owner, do you think there will be a market for new, barbless hooks?

Thanks,

Kevin

Kev - all great questions.

I am a great fan of his streamer book and would add to your list to ask Kelly:

1 - in your streamer book you describe the jerk-strip retrieve primarily as done from a drifting boat. When wading, do you cast upstream or do you still cast directly across stream? It would see that with wading you would almost have to cast upstream in order to keep the fly broadside to the current.

2 - as an add on to Kev Compton - do you find that you get a lot of fish hooked in gill rakers when using tandem hooks? I have been playing around with the rattlesnake pattern in particular and have had this happen so many times I am leaning against using this fly - though it is definitely a fish tagger!! Is there a combination of hooks or something that can help reduce this problem? If I am fishing catch and release there is little point to unneccessarily damaging the fish which has been a problem for me with this tandem fly.

3 - also as an add on to KC - are you still using the same techniques and lines out west as you did in MI? How have you changed, modified, or improved your streamer techniques?

4 - any new hot streamer patterns you will share with us??

5 - any update on your preferred tackle for streamer fishing?

I have a few since his and Bob's book has changed the way I fish streamer these past 5 years...

- When useing the short stiff leaders of Maxima for the full sinking line jerk strip retrive, what is your favorite leader formula you have found for turning over the big streamers?

- One problem I have had over the years when fishing big streamers with the jerk strip method is I hook some nice fish, but the fish trowing the hook seems to be a problem. I seem to lose a good deal of fish within the first few seconds of the fight (more than with other methods). I've always wondered if maybe because of the fast paced eratic stripping method if maybe it was because the fish have to strike so fast they sometimes hook themselves in less then optimal places (outside the jaw?) or maybe it's due to the long streamer hooks? have you ever noticed this problem or have any thoughts on it?

- Knowing that you have fished many years here in Mio on the Au Sable with Bob Linseman and most recently fished out west. Have you noticed any difference in big brown trout habits or behavior between the two areas?

what the hell were you smoking when you came up with the name "sex dungeon" and others for your fly patterns???