Fly Tying
KevCompton

Yellow Sally CDC&Elk

I don't like that pattern.

I LOVE that pattern.

That's a truly exceptional photograph.

Can you give a little runthrough of how you tied that?

madkasel,

Yellow Sally CDC&Elk

Hook: Grip Barbless Hook 11011BL #16-20.

Thread: Yellow Hends Products Synton Thread.

Tag/Egg Sac: Red Glow-Brite Fluorescent Floss (Datam Products, UK).

Body: Yellow CDC Feather, Type #1 or #2.

Wing: Short Coarse Early Season Yearling Elk.*

There is an excellent instructional sequence for tying Hans Weilenmann's CDC&Elk on his site, Fly Tier's Page (http://www.danica.com/flytier/), which inspired this simple pattern:

http://www.danica.com/flytier/steps/cdcelk/cdcelk.htm

*The original CDC&Elk wing was tied, somewhat misleadingly, with Short Coarse Early Season Mule Deer Hair.

kev

you have a lot of europen infulence going on there

you must have some experience of competition fishing?

all the best

john

That's pretty much the only caddis pattern I carry. I figure it's accounted for 50-60% of the trout I've caught over the last 10 years. Like Hans, I use deer hair to tie mine. About the same time I learned the CDC and Elk, the owner of a local fly shop suggested that if I planned to tie a lot a lot of caddis I should invest in a deer's mask. The main reason being that the various hair colors on the mask would cover the wing colors of most of the caddis hatches here in the Mid-Atlantic/Northeast, and he was right. The only caddis I can't match is the little black caddis. He sold me my first one, and I brought another one after that first one wore out. If you're tying a lot of caddis patterns using deer hair, think about buying one. The last one I brought cost me $15 and that was 6 years ago.

It's a very versitile pattern, and works equally well as a sub-surface fly.

I agree that an elk hair caddis is my go to fly most of the time. So does the cdc make it even better? I have to say it looks better than mine :)

That is a very buggy lookin fly. nice tie Kev

Hans is a Pal-O-Mine and a very fine gentleman.........his pattern works as well as ANY Caddis pattern EVER invented. It is SUPER easy to tye, a VERY fast tye, and like the man said.....EXTREMELY versitile. It DOES even catch fish under water. mark..... B)