Fly Tying
DaUP

Face Melting Guitarist

I have to agree that dude looks like he could fall asleep at any moment and he is absolutely jamming there. :baby:

Steve

the thing that impressed me about the guy I posted was the fact that he has such an amazing ability yet he isn't in some band yet he can play better than most of the sell-outs that put out todays records

He probably is in a band - judging from the number of guitars he's got kicking around, he's been at it for a while. Or maybe playing out doesn't interest him. Being a pro is not all it's cracked up to be by a long shot.

That is very true with some guys Peterjay, I have a close friend (the one teaching me to play) that was offered a record deal once and he told the guy he was not for sale, he does what he calls "stool night" at a local bar and grill called the First Ward House (actually the oldest saloon west of the Mississippi River) where he just sits on a stool and plays some of his songs some other folks songs and kinda just jams for the fun of it he even has had a few guys he sent home to get their axe so the could jam together, it's really a cool vibe just watching him play, he gets so much joy out of it, and I think that is the key with most anything.

Steve

Yeah, if it stops being fun, you might as well be driving a cab. (the money's better and you get to go home every night) A lot of the guys I know quit the road after a few years, and none of them have ever expressed any regret over it. The only one of my old bandmates who stuck with it was a drummer - he did it for 30 years and even had a top 40 hit back in the '80s, but he finally got to the point where he just couldn't get back on the bus again. He came home one night (He lives in Austin TX) when his wife was asleep, got up and left before she woke up, and she didn't even remember him being there. That's some kind of life, isn't it? Your friend sounds like his head's screwed on right.

When I was in college I played in a band - the singer decided we should quit

and go on the road - the rest of the band decided to finish up college (we did).

He joined another band who actually got their video played on MTV Europe,

but the last I heard he was squatting somewhere, borrowing girls babies so he

could claim more welfare money.

The drummer whom I am still in touch with plays in a 'club' band - they are

resident at a social club and have to do the 'journeyman' stuff like play

requests at parties etc and backup the drunks when it's 'open mic' time.

He does this just as a hobby - it gets him some extra pocket money and

he likes the social part of it. I've seen him play in one of these 'club'

bands and it's funny to watch a guy who can hammer the skins like

Bonham sitting there whisking his snare drum with brushes !

I think the drummer got it right ....

Stanley Jordan Is pretty amazing. Nice thread. Alot of these guys are off the hook!! I have watched these types of preformances and thought " why even play anymore?" But the reality is that most of us play because we love it and after a while its not about becoming the best. It's about playing and being in the groove. I'm a huge believer in "you can do whatever you put your mind to", but I'm also a huge believer in reality :)

Great links

i didnt realize there were so many guitarists on here... any drummers? i play both, but if you wanna talk drummers (mostly metal/prog metal) i know some awesome drummers

For me it's not so much about guitar but music in general, I play the flute, piccolo, trombone, baratne, piano and now guitar, and I have banged on a drum a few times. I just really like music and like Chrisfish said it's about being in the groove.

Steve

Just got done watching most of the 'KillrBuckeye' YouTube videos.

He didn't post ANY where is isn't accompanied by the original track he is playing.

Yes, his technique is impressive, but I couldn't help thinking that he would develop

into a much better guitarist if he would lay down his own tracks - even if it was

still cover versions. I've heard guys playing over a hokey midi backup - that doesn't

seem to matter if the guitar is good.

My guys are :-

Classic Rock - Jimmy Page - No explanation required

Latter Day - Joe Satriani - Many guitarists out there can fit a hundred notes into one second,

but Joe does it with feeling and melody

Many guitarists out there can fit a hundred notes into one second

Yeah, but all that stuff does is impress the kids. Real masters like the late Roy Buchanan and B.B. King used raw speed only when it was called for, which wasn't often. Like Scotsman said, it's about melody and feeling. People like Eric Johnson and Stanley Jordan, who can combine speed with expression are very rare.

Some songs are just made for guitar and "Sleepwalk" is one of them. Just about everybody who owns a guitar has his own version, and one of my favorites is Amos Garrett's. Amos has been playing for a very long time, and is a terrific musician. I had the pleasure of meeting him years ago when he played a joint where I was working the door.