Fly Tying
Scud

How do you store your flies

I've been doing a lot of tying lately and need advice on storing the flies. Does everybody just buy dozens of fly boxes to store them in or do you use Plano type boxes to store them?

I already have 5 fly boxes full but have a lot in Plano boxes. I've been tying midges, sow bugs, streamers, dries, parachutes and stuff I just make up.

I really need all of your expertise. I'm going nuts. :dunno:

Thanks, Jeremy

While fishing I limit myself to two boxes, one for dries and one for nymphs (all wets, streamers, etc). I refill the "fishing boxes" from the stash I keep at home. Depending on how much you tie, the home supply can be either small or large - I keep them in a cedar lined drawer to prevent the moths getting at them.

Occasionally I'll take a smaller stash with me to leave in the car, depending on the length of the trip it may contain just experimental flies, or it might have a full resupply of my favorite patterns.

I have reached an uncertain form of equilibrium - meaning I lose enough flies daily to not have the aggregate stash continue to grow. I have a small warmwater fishery within 5 minutes of the house, in that regard I am blessed.

I store mine in medium and large size plano storage boxes.

They work well and you just buy more of them as you need. I currently have 2medium sized ones labeled for dries and Nymphs. and a Large size one for streamers.

Label them, Dries, nymphs, streamers, whatever works for you and it will make finding that specific fly when it is time to restock a helluva lot easier if you have many boxes. :)

Mostly what I do is give away most of what I tie. Then the person who gets the flys can figure out how to store them. Stockard sells a little six pac box for less than a dollar and I use them for my give aways. The flys that I keep I have separate boxes for. When my keeper boxes get full it is time to cull and give away some. Full boxes also get in the way of tying more flys. If you use foam boxes they will last longer if you mash your barbs. Lately when fishing I have been carrying the "Days Worth" box by Cliff, great little box and as Cliff proclaims "not made in BF Egypt"

I have a number of fly boxes that I have, one for nymphs/scuds, one for dries, one for salmon and other one will be for sea trout. I do need to get a tube fly box though.

But at home I dont really store too many. I use the okuma fly boxes with the compartments. You can store a lot of little nymphs in one of those small compartments. I tend to tie when I need flies.

and dont really bulk up at home... maybe I should

I don't keep a back stock, I try to keep my boxes full at all times. After a trip I go down to the bench and tie up what I lost. Another thing I do is to try two re-use hooks when at all possible. The fly might be chewed up, but the hook is fine.

Carlp5351

I like to do all my tying in the winter, so I can spend my spring, and summer fishing. I have a couple of plano 3700 style boxes that I store em all in, then fill my fly box as I need em.

I have a large inventory of flies tied over the years. Thus I have 12 Plano boxes of flies. For the stream I have only five. The nymph, wet fly, bass, streamer, WB & stonefly boxes hardly change. The dry/emerger box changes constantly depending on the season.

For the inventory at home and the Plano boxes: email or write them with the product number of your box and ask for more inserts. I have done this twice and each time have received for free a handful of inserts. So I have 36 (or is it 32, I'm not stopping to count) sections in each box of smaller flies. The Plano boxes are labeled: Mayfly Dries, Caddis Dries, Mayfly Nymphs, Caddis Nymphs, Small streamers, etc.

Looks like most use the Plano boxes for storage; me too. I label them according to the general fly type : dry, parachute, wet, soft-hackles, foam, streamers, terrestrials, etc. On a trip, I usually take the plano boxes I'll need, and use them to re-supply my on-stream boxes as needed.

I store my flies in trees, in the rocks. Once and A while I release a fish from a distance and let them store the fly for me. I never stop fishing so I never have extra flies But plano boxes work great for storing flies that Im shipping in a big order.