Fly Tying
breambuster

Bluegill Swap #3. FLOATERS!

I suck at Foam but thats why Im joining!! IN! due in march????? My patter will be something that sucks.....LOL

He said he sucks at foam... :hyst:

THIS SWAP IS NOW FULL!!!!

OK guys (and gal) this one REALLY filled up fast. I thought with it being on a Friday & a holiday weekend, it might take several days to fill up. So much for that idea!

We're going to have a really good swap this time! We have several really very highly skilled tiers in this one, and some for whom this will be their first swap! So we're going to have a good cross section of skill levels. As I have said to several of the new swappers, this is one of the reasons we do these swaps. First of all, we do them because it's GREAT FUN and you end up with some awesome flies. But the other reason is that participating in swaps is a great way to build your tying skills.

If you are an "old, experienced hand," you can skip the rest of this reply. But if you are new, or if you haven't been in a swap for a while, read on!

If you are new to swaps on this forum, please be sure to read CAREFULLY and COMPLETELY the thread entitled "All Swappers Must Read" in the "pinned" section of this board. It's the second from the bottom in the "Pinned" section It will give you all the details you will need to participate in the swap.

Basically, everyone will need to tie up AT LEAST 19 flies of the exact same pattern. They need to be the same pattern, the same hook size, the same colors, etc. In other words, 19 flies that are exactly alike, or as close as you can come to that. They need to be flies that float on the surface of the water and that are effective flies for catching Bluegills. Each fly needs to have a "toe tag." That's a small slip of paper with your screen name and the name of the pattern. For instance, each of my flies will have a "toe tag" that says, "Breambuster: Cricket."

Pack all of your flies into a crush proof box, such as an Altoids box, and mail them, along with a self addressed stamped envelope. Check with the post office on the correct amount of postage. When you are ready to mail your flies, post on this thread that you are ready for an "Addy" (address) and I will PM you my mailing address. The deadline is March 1, so you will need to have them in the mail by about February 24.

Oh Yes, and as soon as you know what pattern you're going to be tying, post it to this thread and I'll edit the first post of this thread to indicate what you will be doing. That way we won't have too many of the same pattern.

Sometimes swappers will throw in a few extra flies for the Swapmeister, and that is always appreciated, but, by no means, is it required or even expected.

Have a FUN swap!

BB

size 12 deer hair water beetle,black. Thanks for hosting this swap.I can't wait ,will start tying now.yoo hoo!!!!!!!!!!

Hello...I'm very happy to have made it into my first swap. I'll tie Elk Hair Caddis.

Regards,

Scott

Well, Scott, we are all happy to have you join our little band of swappers. I hope this is just the first of a LOT of great swaps for you on this board. You will find a lot of people ready to help & offer encouragement along the way. And swapping is a GREAT way to increase your skills & to discover lots of new patterns. Thanks for joining.

I've got you down for a Elk Hair Caddis, & I'm looking forward to seeing your work.

BB

Half way thru tying .I learned alot tying so many of the same pattern . I usualy tie enough for an outing,two of this two of that. Before this swap I tied this pattern for specific conditions. It has many draw backs being deer hair. So I modified the pattern to make the fly more duable ,more bouyant and lower maintenence. I incorperated a closed cell foam core so you will not have to worry with floatant.And because of the nature of the foam core I could use a heavy layer of flexament to protect the deer hair and thread.A very deadly pattern when gills want to stay down but you want to fish on top. I hope ya'll enjoy.

I am ready for the address .my 19 flies are tied and will ship Wensday if I have the addy. Thanks , Fred

Hey Breambuster, I finished the tying and am ready for an addy. Flies will ship out Monday, looking forward to seeing everyone elses ties.

Thanks!

Nick

Hey! Quick! Somebody send me some Sevin Dust!!! My mailbox was INFECTED today with a whole nest of red ants! Fred's flies arrived today. GREAT tie! I can't wait to get this one into some "bream water!" The bluegills will go crazy trying to get to this one. We are off to a RIP-ROARING start. Fred's ants are the first set to arrive.

BB