Fly Tying

D300?

Al, if you've got a 12MP SLR that won't out-resolve a 3MP Nikon, there's something wrong with the 12MP camera. Could be there's a focusing issue or something else that's degrading your image.

AL-

I would have to agree with Peter that your 12mp should be able to supply final images that far out resolve/etc a 3mp. If the lenses you have on the 12mp are of suffient quality to match the cameras capabilities.

Many higher end DSLR files can look very soft right out of the camera. They assume that the photographer wants total control over the resultant image and therefore the internal processing is often minimal compared to a more consumer grade camera. Have you checked out the setup in the menu system to see if there some settings that might cause the probs your seeing? Like sharpness at minus3 etc etc .

Post a pic and maybe someone could suggest what may be going on.

Will

Hi Guys,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner; I've been buried in a project that had to go out the door today. I delivered a bunch (several hundred) of macro shots to a commercial photog. I wish it were fly shots but it was pics of jewelry for a catalog. Yes, I shot them all using the old Nikon. I gave the commercial guy a choice of a 9MB TIFF file from the Nikon or a 50+MB TIFF from the 12MP Fugi. He chose the Nikon shots because they were sharper and besides he didn't need hugh files for catalog shots.

Guys, I never meant to imply I got better resolution out of a 3MP over a 12MP (9MB versus 55MB) but I guess my fingers on the keyboard went faster than my brain when I posted back to Will several days ago. Let me back up.

The Nikon shoots sharper looking pics out of the camera and out of Photo Shop than any of my other cameras does including the 12MP Fugi S3. Understand I am shooting all macro shots that will be printed at 2.5" X 3/5" give or take a bit on size (magazine stuff and now catalog shots). I originally got the Fugi to shoot weddings and it is incredible for that purpose. But a few weeks after I got it a friend offered me a 60mm macro lense at a great price and I thought I'd use it for fly shots as well. I didn't like the results but I've been so busy the most relaxation time for me I've been able to get is a few minutes a day on the FTF group. Spending time working with a new camera wasn't in the cards. It probably won't be either with my work load very busy in the winter (by design) so I can spend my summers "in the field testing products."

Peterjay and Will thanks for your suggestions. Will I plan to check out the menus like you suggest. The camera was used when I bought it from another wedding photog so he may have set it "soft" to help cover facial blemishes (which works really well by the way). Anyway guys, thanks for your comments. I'll check them out when I have a minute but right now I have to put a bunch of meat in a container to martinate; tomorrow Gretchen and I are hosting a fly tying day with the flies used to help benefit the local fly-fishing club fund raiser. It will be a lot of fun but some work as well. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

Flyfisher magazine

Geeez Al, you are busier than any three people, hope things slow down for you this summer.

Interesting thread, I also want to upgrade to either a D200 or D300.

If you're not a working professional you probably don't need the D300. I have a friend who shoots Rock Bands with the D80 and her work is fantastic. I've been looking at the D300 myself. The main thing I find interesting about the D300 is the fact that it is now using a CMOS sensor similar to the type Canon has been using. I believe it's made by Sony. The D80 and D200 are using CCD sensors. Big difference. Anyway, This allows shooting in lower light. Also, A lot less noise at higher ISO's. The D300 was just voted the camera of the Year by Popular Photography magazine. I'm still shooting with film and scanning with a Nikon Coolscan V ED. The D300 may be the camera that makes me take the step into digital. I already have a Nikon F100. But, shoot mostly with Contax Bodies. I love my Contax G2 and Contax Aria bodies.

Tax returns have been good to me so I think a D300 may be in my near future..I was going to get one when they first came out but I thought I would wait a bit and see how people liked them and if there were any issues with them..So far I have heard nothing but good reviews from the folks I know that have one..

Glad to hear that Uncle Sam is treating somebody right. If I see the SOB walking through my yard, I'll turn my dogs loose on him. Of course he'd probably tax their teeth. I hope you enjoy the D300. The reviews have been terrific. Boy, there's been some really nice gear pop up in the past year. I just read about Sony's new 25MP sensor. I wouldn't be surprised to see it appear in a Nikon before too long.

I am getting the Body only as I have a good assortment of Nikkor glass already..

But I do have my eye on the 12-24 mm..