Fly Tying
Old Hat

Working a Hare's Mask

So, I am at home preparing a bunch of dubbing from natural furs etc. I started working on a Hare's Mask. Normally I shave the ears (Hare' Ear), shave the poll (above and between the eyes down to the nose) and leave the cheeks on the skin for the longer tailing fur. I label these as such; ear,poll, cheek (if shaved) and then separate by color shade.

I find the ear fur to be short and course (no dubbing under fur), the poll to be longer than the ear with a mix of guard hairs and some under fur and tends to be the highest sheen fur. The cheeks are soft with a small amount of guard hairs, longest, and usually a duller sheen.

I have read many books that describe separating the mask into these general areas, but none that go into any specific properties of each area and/or the "traditionally accepted" method of preparing the material from these areas.

Basically, I don't know if I am doing it right or if there is even an accepted method traditionally.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

You do it the way that I do although I just shave of the bit of on the nose, cheeks and between the ears ( same shade).

So we're either both wrong or both right, personnally I don't think it matters.

Actually, Allen Mcgee in Tying & Fishing Soft-Hackled Nymphs has a discussion of this topic, the only one that I've seen. If you haven't picked up a copy of this book yet and like tying soft hackles, I'd strongly recommend it.

I'm not that organized. I just cut it as I need it and I use all parts of the mask, including the ear in the dubbing mix when I make a batch.

Old Hat, that sounds like you've found an effective way to prepare the different types of hair. I should be so organized!

Don't be impressed by the organization, I have been tying for 12 years and I have finally decided to get my act together on all this natural fur on skins that I have in my collection. :D

Thanks Whatfly, I actually have a copy of that book, bought it on vacation this year and didn't remember that part. Took a look and yeah, that is exactly what I was looking for. He splits the mask in 5 sections and removes some of the underfur from the face sections, other than that it is about what I have been doing.

that is a good idea, but it seems to take up more space and much more work then keeping it on the mask. The mask is natures own holder for it.

The initial work is time consuming. I have a lot of furs, just about everything legal you can have in many colors. About 3 years ago I went "all natural" in my tying. No foam, plastic, or synthetics. I use a container that holds 24 "tic tac mint" type boxes. I label each box and organize by shade of color and type of material.

Once done the material is much easier to find especially when trying to find a specific color and takes up considerably less space.

Thats true,

I guess it gives you the ability to customize your blends and make actual tying of the fly fast and easy, no fumbling with masks (also taking up space) when you want to pop out 12 hares ears, or scuds.

Good idea really

The initial work is time consuming. I have a lot of furs, just about everything legal you can have in many colors. About 3 years ago I went "all natural" in my tying. No foam, plastic, or synthetics. I use a container that holds 24 "tic tac mint" type boxes. I label each box and organize by shade of color and type of material.

Once done the material is much easier to find especially when trying to find a specific color and takes up considerably less space.

That sounds good. Got a picture?

I'm not that organized. I just cut it as I need it and I use all parts of the mask, including the ear in the dubbing mix when I make a batch.

same here. less messy

Well, I'm another that prefers to leave the fur on the mask. I have this preference for two reasons:

1. As you know, the hair from different parts of the mask exhibit different qualities with respect to length and color. Thus, when I go to mix a custom blend for a particular batch of flies, it is easier for me to find the right mix of ingredients on a given mask to get the qualities I'm seeking for that particular batch of flies if I've left the hair on the mask.

2. I like to tail certain nymphs with the longer, darker guard hairs found between the cheeks of the mask. However, if I were to remove all the hairs from the mask beforehand, I would no longer have access to these guard hairs for tailing purposes. This is actually the primary reason I leave my hare's masks intact.

-- Mike

It try to accomplish retaining the different qualities so that I may custom mix. But you are right leaving it on the mask would allow more flexibility for that. I also do have a mask or two stored away with the cheek material still on for tailing. The boxes just happen to fit perfectly in a drawer of my tying desk. I use the dubbing from my boxes probably 90% of the time but do always have some material on the skin stored away in less convenient places if I need them. I like an organized tying space, just me.

The empty containers you can find at most department stores in the craft section for about $4

post-13329-1200530395_thumb.jpgpost-13329-1200530517_thumb.jpg

I like tic tacs a lot, but not that much. The empty individual containers come with the plastic case, just fill 'em up. Works great for beads also.