Fly Tying
SullyTM

Leif's Stonefly

post-3096-1201099756_thumb.jpg

Forum member Leif Ortenholm created this pattern (posted early on FTF) and I finally gave it a try. I really like how Lief tied this stonefly along the side of the hook. It'll really hug the bottom of the stream.

It took some time getting used to tying this pattern on its side. I started over 3 time times before everything came together...

Later...

Thom

Hey Thom, your stonefly looks super.

I know what you mean about having to keep thinking when tying sideways, it sure gets tricky. I did some sideways stones on gold brooch pins a few years ago for an FTF safetypin fly swap, and had to un-tye and re-tye, to keep things sideways.

Anyway, nice tying, and coloring!

Graham

Graham & Ray...Thank you. We'll see how it fishes later this winter.

Graham...The coloring :rolleyes: I'm still working on my coloring abilities. I tend to color towards a molted look. Don't know why...probably because I'm impatient.

The legs are porcupine quills...Many of you use these little devils(ALWAYS clip off the sharp end!) and the traditional way of using quills for legs has been to ream them out and push through a Japanese Nymph Leg or similar bristle...kink the JNL etc..No real need to do that with the quills, at least with this pattern. I just tied in the quill, kinked into position and flattened the various leg portions. Don't ream out the quill...The finished leg looks pretty realistic. Nice femur section etc. (All of this is Leif's SBS).

Later...

Justin, Andres, stiknstring...Thanks.

Andres, yes my plan is to fish this pattern. It should hug the bottom of the stream. Any succes I have will be posted. Right now I'm a few weeks away from fishing it...

stiknstring...I tied it over 3 nights. Probably spent a couple of hours total on it. Keep in mind it was my first attempt and I always go slow on new patterns. I'm in no hurry :D After a few ties I'm sure I'll be able to tie them a lot quicker.

Thom