Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
LFF

First DSLR

Hi folks,

I am considering a couple of DSLR's and wondered what your thoughts are on the following.

Canon 400 (as against the 350)

Nikon D40

Pentax K100D

Much appeciated

Keith

The Nikon v Canon debate is a kin to Ford v Chevy.

So, in my opinion it comes down to a two things, price and features.

What are you willing to spend, should be the first thing ask yourself.

If prices are similiar, you consider features next. Which features will best suit your need now and inthe future.

For some reviews by actual users, check out the reviews section on www.photographyreview.com.

I am very biased when it comes to cameras, so I'd recommend the Nikon.

Nikon claims the D40 is the "world's lightest DSLR", for what it's worth.

I don't own a Nikon camera anymore( Nor do I own a digitial SLR for that matter), but I have owned a few Nikons in my time.

If you have experience with any of these companies in the past, you might consider going with the camera from that manufacturer.

Good Luck and let us know what you end up with.

Brian

Flip a coin and get a Canon or a Nikon. The Pentax is a good camera from what I've read, but if you're gonna be in it for the long haul, the wide array of lenses and accessories that the "Big Two" offers is a factor, along with the stability of their lines. Just do your homework and figure out what will suit your needs. You probably can't go wrong with either. Just steer clear of brand tribalists when you're looking for advice. (not aimed at you Brian LOL) Bias is just that - bias - and it's often not grounded in current realities. Full disclosure: I own a Canon, two Nikons, and a Pentax, and it's all the same to me which conglomerate gets your money. (or mine)

BTW - B&H Photovideo features a lot of user reviews on its product listings, and I've found them useful from time to time.

I cant speak for other brands as I have not used them..

I use a D40 and have been extremely happy with it..For an entry level DSLR it offers full manual controls and has great high ISO low noise..

Here is a link to my blog if you would care to see what I have taken with the D40.. My Blog

Good luck in your search and let us know how it turns out..

Keith, after looking again at your OP, I'm not 100% sure we're talking about the same camera, (A pox on whoever names these things) but in any case, here's a link to a hands-on review Michael Reichmann did on the Canon D40. I found it interesting when I read it - hope it helps.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/...D-handson.shtml

Just remember that the Nikon D40 does not use older Nikon/Nikkor lenses. I'm a Canon fan, so take this for what it's worth -- The Rebel series has a brand new addition -- the 450/XSI. Looks to be a lot of camera for the money. This also means the Rebel 400/XTI will be dropping in price.

The 450, however, has 12.2mp, the Digic III processor, and Live View. It is also leaving the CF memory card for the SD.

Get the Canon but rember it is the lens that makes the camera.

A Canon 1DS Mk.3 with a kit lens(18-55mm) is worse than a Canon 400D with a half decent half decent lens (one of the L lens).

All my photos are taken with a 6 year old 3 mega pixel Hp compact camera.IPB Image

Regards,

Jason.

When my wife bought her Canon, It appeared the Nikon was much faster on the start up. For some that is a big issue. for her it came down to lens compatibility, as she had a bunch of Canon lenses. Otherwise it would have been the Nikon hands down.

Get the Canon but rember it is the lens that makes the camera.

A Canon 1DS Mk.3 with a kit lens(18-55mm) is worse than a Canon 400D with a half decent half decent lens (one of the L lens).

The notion that the lens makes the camera is much less true now than it was during the film era, when cameras were pretty much film holders with lenses and everybody used the same emulsions and could change them at will to alter resolution, color characteristics, etc. The reason a 1Ds Mark III will suffer with a cheap lens is that the 21.9 MP full-frame sensor will outresolve the kit lens (or any low-grade lens) by a wide margin. You'll be getting maximum performance from the 400D with an "L" lens, but using a kit lens on a Mark III is like dropping a Volkswagen engine into a Porsche 911. It'll work, but just barely. Nobody's going to shortchange himself by getting the best body and best lenses his budget can handle. Both are important.

Hi foks and thankyou all for your very excellent tips and ideas.

Well after lot and I mean a LOT of umming and aahing I finally decided on a Canon.

What I really was thinking of originally was a Canon 350D but as you are all aware its an "old" model. But it suits my budget and my skill level !

So I tried the 400D as thats what a lot of places carry and then Canon announce the 450D ! Now I am confused which aint hard :(

I looked all over the place for a good deal and finally went into a local shop. Told the guy what I was thinking of and just mentioned the 350D. OK the 350 is 8mp and the 400 is 10 with a few other upgrades but thinking is it worth it the shop guy actually said not. I asked about the 350 and he said he had a very nice second hand deal. And it was. I got the camera, 18-55 lens and a 90-300 ef lens with a 1gb card for £400. Good warranty too. And as a bonus I bought a 1gb card then opened the slot to drop in the card and found a 2gb Sandisk in the slot. Say nothing ok!!

Now all I have to do is play with it a few times and i may even put a few pics on here...

Thanks again for your thoughts and input. It really was well worth it to me and a great help.

B)

Good luck with that thing!

It's not a Nikon, but all camera's can't be Nikons..

:P :D

I look forward to seeing wht you come up.

Regards,

Brian

Nice..Now you will be like the rest of us always wanting more..Look forward to seeing your shots..