Fly Tying
flyfishingtaz

Renzetti just lost a customer

I gave em a shot. I even chalked the first broken set up to being a rookie. Well, not anymore! :ripped: I went out and bought another set, excuse me, my buddy for a late xmas present bought be a new set of jaws for my traveler as I was using my backup for quite some time. I just counted my new box of flies. Drumroll please......26 flies :ripped: !! I checked the setting on the jaws thinking it was set wrong. Nope, 2nd hole 12-28. I tie 12 to 18 flies. Thought maybe I cranked the adjustment knob down to tight. Nope, finger tight. Even thought I might have cranked the cam too tight. Nope, directions said I did it correctly. In my fury, I sent renzetti a nice little lettter(I promise) stating what happened, and letting them know that the next set will be the last. Unfortunatly, my fly shop is only open 4days a week, so I have to wait till wed to see if they might replace the jaws, but I'm not very optimistic after the renzetti warrenty. Will wait to see, and let ya all know what I find out. :dunno:

I'm sorry to hear about the troubles. I have a buddy who used .. key word used .. to be a Renzetti man. He had some problems with customer service and since moved on to another company. Others I have heard have nothing but praises for Renzetti. I guess it all comes down to personal choices. If you do decide to move on, look into Dyna-King. I have 3 and IMHO they can't be beat. Customer service has been first rate in my dealings with them. I made a special request for accessories for my new Trekker around the holiday season. I had them in hand in 2 days from the left coast. Any questions I have asked have been answered by e-mail with-in 24 hours. To me, Dyna-King really cares about their customers.

Mike

How are the jaws breaking? I've had my Renzetti for over 15 yrs and never had a problem with the jaws so just wondering how yours went through 2 sets in 3 months :blink:

Steve

they've all broken at the screw. and both sets have been cams. I'm thinking of getting the screw set for the next one. Perhaps too much tension, but even the guys at the fly shop say Im setting it right. dont know but its very frusterating.

Dude you can squeeze a penny in those jaws and make Lincoln cry.

LOL what a description George! :lol:

I almost wonder if they had a bad batch of jaws that the temporing didn't work right somehow. I'm like Steve, had my Traveler for at least 15 yrs now and it's been just fine.

Also Agreed.

Get a Dyna-King. I don't even own one but lots of my buddies do. Chris Helm also uses Dyna King.

I don't think you could break one if you tried.

Sorry to hear about losing another set of jaws.

You are breaking your jaws at the screw you said? Is that the screw that attaches the jaws to the arm of the vice, or the little thumbscrew at the tip of the jaws for adjusting the gape to fit the hook? Is the screw itself breaking? Or are the threads stripping out of the screw holes?

Just trying to understand, how about posting some photos of whats going wrong? A lot of use use these vices (I am thinking about getting a Master to go with my Presentation 4000) and it might be nice to have an idea of what your problems are.

I know on your previous set you did not get to take photos, I am hoping you snapped some for us to see this time.

Good luck to you,

Ryan

they have been breaking where the fine adjustment screw meets at the jaws. I received a msg from renzetti the other day saying that they'll take a look at em. It might be a hardening problem. Once I know for sure, I'll either get another set of jaws, or a different vise.

If you replace the vise the dyna king is a fantastic vise. It will be my next vise. I have a HmH now and love it to death. Im not sure if it will make Lincoln cry or not But I put my dogs tail in it and he cried! If that helps...

are you sending in just the jaws or the entire vise? for you to go through two sets in such a short time might it not be possible that something in the frame itself might be 'tweaked' thus causing some unatural stresses to occur? I have never had a renzetti in my hand so this is just a random thought I had.