Fly Tying

Wooly Buggers

I don't fish a whole lot of Wooly Buggers, but the ones I do are big usually ranging from 4-6 inches long. Like Salty Dog I add eyes and an epoxy head on all the buggers I tie. I keep the colors to a minimum. I tie the Chili Pepper, three variations, I call the Blackened Chili and the Green Chili(olive), and Chartruese. I also tie a White River Demon and a Catskill Killer.

One thing you might want to look at if you tie bead head or cone head buggers are jiggie heads. They're hot in salt water flies right now. They're either round or oval shape and have indentations for eyes, and imparts a nice jigging motion on retrieve.

Another thing I tried this past year, was wrapping cheap spey hackle on some of my buggers, it worked fairly well.

Is the White River Demon, an all white fly using estaz or a pearl colored krystal chenille? I think Tony Spezio ties this or developed it?

Dan

I tie mine in Black, Red, Olive and the most successful being a deadly combination of fluo green Crystal Chenille head and black body / tail. I use pieces of crystal hair run in parallel with the tail.

ralf, the tinsel chenille and estaz are to different things. estaz is more like ice chenille or to give you a visual ref. like the blue egg i was fishing with our last trip out (it was made of estaz). it has longer plastic fibers in it and the tinsel chenille is just a mixture of chenille and some flash.

i have started tying some of my buggers with the estaz. they look great and give off a hell of a flash. ordered some colors the shop didnt have and cant wait till it comes in to try some more.

though i dont know why, i havent really ever caught anything on buggers.

QUOTE (woollywilma @ Jan 14 2004, 11:54 AM)
Luvinbluegills,
What's that hackle you're talking about. Is that what you used in the bottom pic? From the photo, that brown hackle looks nice!

- Adam

It's a neck that was labeled as Brown, but is dark along the stem for some reason. I found it at the Neshannock Creek fly shop in Volant, PA.

post-2-1074196241.jpg

An easy bugger-

Put on a bead if you want. I tie in a mono loop at the hook bend to prevent marabou from wrapping under hook while fished.

Tie in Marabou the lenght of body. I like Wiily bugger maravou from Wapsi.

Next tie in a piece of leech yarn- Put more weight on hook if you wish. Then wrap the leech yarn to the bead and tie off behind the bead. Bingo- that is it and it works.-- Rod

D'OH! I'm gonna hafta put Homer back as my avatar! (Should'a known better than to remove him...)

Thanks Jim. I can't believe that didn't occur to me, as I have a big loose pack of short wide feathers that are patterned like this, only in Tan and dark Brown, and are clearly labeled "Furnace". I think I'll make a bunch of those Stone Buggers for the upcoming Bugger swap.

B.T.W., did you get my recent PM?