Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fishaholic69

partridge and yellow wet fly

seen this pattern and just got some natural partridge feathers. this is a size 12 wet/nymph hook.. I followed the recipe but instead of mole used olive/brown nymph dubbing and instead of silk used light yellow 6/0 thread. heres the recipe and the one I made. it really don't seem like much? fish like this? I made one so far and am gonna make more in olive thread and black thread bodies maybe even peacock body? love that peacock!!! lol. critique it and let me know whats wrong and I will make it better and make more.partridge and yellow

post-12314-1204092086_thumb.jpg

Yes, fish like that. Don't worry that it doesn't look like much. The soft hackle gives the fly a lot of movement in the water, and that seems to be the trigger. They work in all kings of colors. Not to worry about not using silk, Keep the body slim, and just a small ball of fur for the thorax. You can work on getting the head a little smaller. Tie some up with yellow thread, and peacock herl for the thorax. Also tie some up with just a tiny bit of fur dubbed on the thread. You want the thread the show throught the dubbing, so just wax the thread and touch the dubbing along it then wrap. You still want the fly to be very slim.

Utyer is right about the body being slim on wets. If you want to add weight use a bead for the thorax or use colored wire to wrap the body. Looks like you are on your way to being a good tyer, think about joining a swap.

Hi,

First, your fly will definitely catch fish. To improve your flies and technique you must continue to practice. If you don't like what you see when you are finished, cut the materials off and start over. On the fly you have shown, your hackle is a little too long. Packaged partridge has a tendency to be large. The best partridge is obtained by purchasing an entire skin, which can be expensive-in the neighborhood of about $25-$30. A good reasonable substitute at a less expensive price is speckled hen back. I like to look for these at supply shops and choose those that have some smaller hackles for smaller flies.

When you begin your fly, leave room for a smaller head. Prepare your hackle by removing the unneeded bottom fibers of the hackle. With the front of the hackle facing you, strip off a few more fibers higher on the right side. Tie this side down on the hook shank so the hackle points out, over the eye. Then, clip off the excess stem. Wrap your thread, down to the bend and tie on body materials. Keeping the thread wrapping even insures a smooth body.

The thorax of the fly can be dubbing, herl, etc. Look at other tiers work it will help you get proportions correct. Here's a few tiers I consider some of the best wingless wet fly tiers around.

Johan Klingberg

Jim Slattery

Hans Weilenmann

Allen McGee.

There are others, but these should start you out. I thank Chase for considering me a master. I try to help everyone I can. You need to keep practicing and before you know it, you'll be tying as good as those I've listed.

My best,

Mark

PS- I forgot to mention that a great body material is embroidery thread/floss that can be purchased in craft departments and sewing stores. It is easy to wrap and gives good results to beginners. After you've perfected your skills, then you can conquer synthetic and silk flosses. Start out slow and build your skills. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

thanks for the tips on how to improve. ya the partridge I have I had to look through to find a small feather. some were way bigger than that. I will find the smaller feathers in the pack next time and look for a skin when I get a chance. I will also make the head smaller. I built it ip before all the half hitch'n and whip finishing lol. I am gonna mess around with some different materials and see what comes around. thanks for the patterns I am gonna check um out.

:ph34r: Keep it and fish it man....you will do just fine. It'll all come soon enough ( as far as proportion).....One of the most effective patterns on a stream not too far from here!

made this partridge and orange yesterday. making a few up for this swap I joined. its my 1st one. maybe I will do some more once I see how it gos down.

post-12314-1204233479_thumb.jpg

You have this down very well. Shorter hackle, smaller head, and still a slim body its a very good tie. Worthy of your swap mates.

thanks. the more I tie the better they come out. of course there is still a ugly one in the bunch every now and then. I have been looking for the smaller hackles now and using thos. these are not that hard to make.

:blink: :blink: :blink: Swap? did someone say swap...how does one get involved in said swap......sounds good. Just got a new digital camera, so I could actually post some pics, as soon as I figure it out...lol. As far as the swap let me know. :yahoo: