Fly Tying
Foersterhunter

bad activities

would you turn in some who fishes illeagally fishing  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yup, I have used the DFG hotline with my cell phone twice. The response was within 30 mins both times and bad guys were ticketed.

In a heartbeat. The laws are created to protect our wildlife and natural resources. It pisses me off to even think about it.

The Don

I usually confront violators as gently as possible first. If they give me a lot of grief or tell me to kiss off and keep doing it, then I have and will report them. I work from the assumption that they don't know they are breaking the law. The second I discover they DO know, I call the warden.

Have in the past and will in the future....the majority of times i have called the RAP line was for snaggers on the au sable have to make 2-3 calls before they show up but its great to see them sneak down there and bust some of the ocean rod snaggers. smile.gif

SD

Yup, yup, and yup. I hate those idiots! You gotta admit there excuses are some of the best.

"but officer, I thought you were out busting bow hunting poachers"

In T.C. I have noticed that they show up about half the time for salmon season and 3/4th the time during steelhead season. They try there hardest to help us out but it seems the poachers are always leaving 5 minutes before the officers show up mad.gif

Called in the night before I left for home about a dad teaching his kids how to snag steelhead with illegal rigs. When I walked by the kid almost smacked me trying to snag a steelhead. I then made the call and then went back to fishin. They then leave and I go and fish the fish they were fishing. Not 5 cast I fouled hooked the female mad.gif dry.gif but she wasn't happy with being hooked in the tail and was off in a heart beat. Not 5 minutes after the CO shows up and I tell him they left blink.gif

It was worth a try though headbang.gif

Yeah stel it's not every time that they show up but they do have reasons.

I had a pretty lengthy discussion with a C.O last year and talked to him about calling and sometimes not seeing a C.O ever show up and he explained to me that the majority of the districts only have 2 C.O for the entire area at best.

With salmon season being at the same time as deer season i can see how it must be a bit hard for them to take care of all the outdoorsman that are fishing and hunting and respond to every call.

I guess the best thing is to just call them and see what happens....if i'm fishing with a buddy or 2 then alot of times each one of us will call about 10-15 mis apart to report on the same area and that usally gets a response from them wink.gif

SD

If I'm in my boat or kayak I have a VHF radio. If in my car or surf fishing, I have my cell phone. I use both to report any other person stealing fish or abusing wildlife. There is no excuse for it. If it is an innocent (didn't know) situation, let the wardens work it out.

Hehehe one quick thought...

Although salmon and deer season are approx. the same time, which would you rather bust...the guy carrying a loaded 30-06 or with an 8wt fly rod? heheheh Maybe we see more of them than the deerhunters do... so call ourselves the "priviliged" sport biggrin.gif

'Nix

Dont know nix...you ever see a group of low life drunken snaggers unsure.gif some of these guys dont need the guns to give you trouble.

About 8-10 years ago i remember the C.O in oscoda county i think at the time his name was Helms,anyway from what i understand he went to bust a couple snaggers that had a small boat beached on shore.

They got into a fight with him and jumped in the boat and tried to take off but he grabbed the back of the boat and drug it back to shore the whole time they were hitting him with the oars.

I dont remember the whole story from the paper since it was awhile back but if i remember correctly he pulled the boat back to shore by hand and busted these guys.

One C.O i wouldnt want to mess with flex.gif

I know I'm going to get slamed by this, but here it goes...

1. Did anyone here ever fish at Oswego or Salmon River in NY? If the run is on you could be on that cell phone all day long . I have seen people

a. Fish with a fly rod and treble hook bugeyes.gif with a piece of sponge and tons of weight.

b. People lifting fish5

c. Same as b but multiple times per cast.

d. People milking fish just for eggs and put it back

e. People gut fish just for eggs and chuck the carcas in the water.

f. People keeping more than a limit

We go there once per year and have a good time fishing. This is 5 hour drive from philly scooter.gif and I don't feel like arguing.

2. I bait fish stripers in NJ. You stand on some jetty chating to a guy and after a while he catches small fish. The guy seems nice and all. I would tell him that the fish is kind of small, but that's about it.

3. Did anyone ever see kids keeping over the limit or out of season???????

4. I don't do points 1 and 2.

4. I have never seen people keeping 4" trout wink.gif .

5. Looks like I'm the only one who put It doesnt matter. I fish to have a good time and I don't let it get to me.

I really hope I don't piss anyone off with this.

Moses:

So you drive 5 hours from Philly, it will be a shame when you spend all that time driving and you don't have anything to catch. The laws are there for us and our future generations.

I have a home in the Adirondacks near Lake Placid just north of Pulaski where you salmon fish. My main home is in Texas 30 hours by car 9 if I fly (6 hours to Sysracuse and drive three more). Yeah, it pisses me off (not at you) that people come into my back yard in NY and destroy the limited and precious resources.

In Texas, we just let the dogs out on em. One of the saddest things I saw was some kind of bird with one of those 6 pack plastic holders that were used at one time wrapped around it's neck. I tired to catch it but I couldn't and had to leave him to starve because some ass thought that the laws only applied to others.

Anyway, peace. I might try the salmon some year. It just gets so crazy around there. I much prefer the solitude.

Did my undergraduate work at Villanova just outside of Philly. Nice area.

Ted