Fly Tying
Foersterhunter

bad activities

would you turn in some who fishes illeagally fishing  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

QUOTE (mozes @ May 18 2004, 09:35 PM)
3. Did anyone ever see kids keeping over the limit or out of season???????

Yea, and I use to be one of them when I was a little kid. However, I don't think I ever caught a limit. I did keep a few fish unsixe though because, again, I didn't know any better. I don't call in on kids but if I see there dad teaching them how to snag fish or do something illegal, you betcha i'm calling in on them. If we don't, they'll never learn and be out snagging until they get busted. I had a grandpa busted last fall by the CO's for snagging fish with lead over an ounce and then handing the snagged fish to the grandchildren. He got a REAL nice fine and I got a REAL NICE reward but that's another story. I see it as this. There is no use in complaining if your not going to do something about it. I hear complaining alot but no body does anything. I choose to do something and makes me smile when I see the CO stalking the poachers and then watching them get there pictures taken with the dead mildew salmon.

I voted that I would turn someone in, but I think the severity would have to be considered.

I've seen guys dancing "The San Juan Shuffle" a couple of times and didn't get into it with them. Someone beat me to it.

Yup, I do in a heartbeat. I have the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Washington State Patrol on speed dial on my cell phone. I use the poachers line during the week, and the WSP line during the weekends (the WDFW phone line is closed on weekends, go figure lol). So the WSP forwards the call to an agent. I have used it many times. In fact, I used it probably 10 times last year.

I will add this. Like silvermallard, I will SOMETIMES confront the people. I try to some up the situation, then approach them first. I'll usually just hint "Isn't this are closed for fishing?" or "Isn't it catch and release only on that fish?". Just to see first. I've met, and become friends with, guys who had no idea. Some were military that thought the rules were the same for every state. Once I informed them, they apologized and usually corrected their ways fast (if possible, a dead fish is a dead fish). But some will laugh and say "Hah, yeah, I know it's closed". I will simply smile and walk away. I won't confront them. Why? Because I can make a phone call away from them and have the agent come and bust them. If you scare them off, for the most part they move to another stretch of the river (what used to happen prior to cell phones and still has happened which I've witnessed first hand).

I could not either say "Yes" or "No". I would really depend upon the circumstances of why the person was fishing illegally.

If the person who was just trying to feed his/her family and had no other source for food. Then I would not turn them in.

Other than that, I probably would turn them in.

There may be other circumstances that I would not turn them in but I cannot think of any at this point.

For every picture there is, there is never Black and White only, there is a lot of Gray in there too.

So, I did not Vote.

i would and have. I usually give the person a warning, and based on the reaction, I decide whether or not to give the RAP line a call. Some people are violating and don't know it, and a simple warning gets em to stop what they are doing (closed areas, little niches in fishing law), but people that are blatant (snagging, being loud, drunk and horribly obnoxious), almost always get my call.

steve

I love steelheaders response. I've tried that method a few times this spring and some people didn't care. I walked up to one guy who just landed a foul hook steelhead and I said do you keep all snagged fish. All he did was look back into the water and continue fishing. Those are the idiots I call on.

Pere pressure worked once this year for me. I helped land a foul hook steelhead. The guy was going to keep it for spawn and I just kept pressuring him that it was illegal to keep fouled hooked fish. I had the fish in my hand and while having this debate I was thinking of just throwing the fish in the water. THe guy finally gave in. While releasing the fish the guy was trying to tell me it was already dead but I just kept him up stream and before long he was gone.