Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JayMorr

The Art of Materials

Reverse Macro had me playing around quite a bit. I hope you enjoy the creative aspect from these shots.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

They are all nice Jay, but #3 is stunning with the light circles..Very cool..

Peter,

Let me know if you would like the original large file format. I could zip it up and shoot it over to you if you like. ;) Let me know.

I appreciate all of your comments. Thank you.

PS. Even in .TIF format, the colors look so much richer than the ones I posted here on the site. I bumped everything down and tried to make the jpegs 100kb or less for posting.

Jay I (like the others) am stunned over number three. That one made me stop my scroll and get caught in the photo. The rest are very nice as well. Very nice job.

Ashby

As always Jay very nice work. I like the others thought number three was way cool.

WOW!!! Those are awesome shots, Jay. I love every one of the shots. The detail is amazing.

I would also be interested to know more about the "reverse macro" technique. I don't own a macro lens, but it couldn't hurt to learn something new.

Nice Jay.

Ray reverse macro is where you take a prime lens (usually a 50mm) and using a "reverse ring" you mount it to the front of your macro lens backwards. So that the front elements of each lens arefacing each other..hense the term reversed.

So the setup is Body:Macro lens:reversed prime.

Essentially what it does is increase the magnification by the focal length of the marco divided by the reversed. Ive been toying with the idea of reversing a 50mm to my 180mm macro. Any true macro is 1:1, with a 50 reversed on my 180 Id get 3:1.

Add some tubes and I could get 5 or 7:1. << With this setup you can clearly see all the eyes in a jumping spiders head and see your reflection without cropping. Youd make pin heads look like enlarged golf tees.

Mind you your DoF is beyond stupidly thin :)

Thanks for the explanation. I'm going to re-read it a few times to make sure I understand. Sounds very interesting, and I understand about the DoF issue. I was actually noticing that on one of Jay's photos above (the one showing individual stands of herl). Some are in crisp focus, but others are pleasantly blurred and must be only slightly further back in the image. Very nice effect, but I imagine it can also make macro photography very tricky.

A friend/acqaintence of mine uses a reversed 50mm on the Sigma 150mm with 3 tubes (12mm, 25mm, 50mm). He gets about 7:1.

Basically whatever he's shootng appears 7 x larger than life...vs the 1:1 youd get wth just a bare macro lens.

He shoots mites, Tics etc

When he shoots jumping spiders ( you know how big they are) you can count the hairs on it 1 by 1.

But the DoF is freaky thin. USing a jumping spider looking at him all thats in focus is the face. So while its fantastic for shooting small stuff its not very practical for anything bigger than an ant .

/edit

He had gall stones revoved in Nov. They are smaller than 1 millimeter. In his pictures they look like Icebergs and you can see the hundreds of jagged points and ridges (hence why they hurt so much)

:)

Awesome explanation on reverse macro Wulff! I am toying with the idea of buying a couple older lens's to use specifically for this type of shooting. I appreciate everyones comments.

PS. Wulff I got your PM. Thanks for the heads up! I appreciate your insight and help very much.