Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Wulff

April Chrome

Still trying to get shots of Steelheading for the library. The tail walking Chromer has eluded me for another weekend.Hopefully with warmer temps they'll start breaking te surface.

Chrome

IPB Image

Reel Blur. Ive taken so many of these Im now looking for nice reels/seats for the collection :)

IPB Image

Nothing like the quiet of a spring morning on a creek being obliterated by a passing train.

IPB Image

Pic of a pic

IPB Image

Big one

IPB Image

FISH ON!!!!

IPB Image

DUCK!

IPB Image

The grins say it all

IPB Image

Wow John..You are really good..I loved them all..Those should definitely be in magazines..

Excellent exposures John. I'm seriously consdering purchasing the 24-70 (I looked at your EXIF). Have you used this with your 30D? If so, how did you like it with the 1.6 cropped body? I would prefer the 24-70 over the EF-S 17-55 IS, Because I eventually plan on purchasing the 5Dmkii, whenever that comes out...

Thanks guys.

Troutgeek I used both the 17-55 and 17-85 IS kit lenses up until I bought the 1D and because the 17-85 is an EFS lens I was forced to step up the timing of my WA upgrade when I did. So its fair to say that buying the 1D, as if that wasn't expensive enough forced me to drop another 1500 much sooner than I was originally planning on top of the 1D cost.

If your planning on buying a body anywhere in the next 2 years that won't take EFS lenses than dont buy the EFS. Use what you have for now until you can get the 24-105 or 24-70 or 16-35 or 17-40 Ls or whatever else it is your considering.

When your closer to buyin or want to know why I opted for the 24-70 f2.8 L over the others I'll explain my thinking.

I'm talking about the newer ef-s 17-55 IS 2.8 that costs as much as an L, but isn't. I have heard it has dust issues, but it's a much better build than the old kit lens. I have the 17-85 IS -- it's ok, but it's getting loose. I'm getting my glass now, and the better body later -- not that the 30d is a slouch.

I have the ef-s 17-85 IS, ef 50 1.8, ef 70-300 IS, and the ef 100 2.8 macro. I plan on replacing the 17-85 and 70-300 with L glass, and passing those lenses down to my son. Right now, I plan on the 24-70 2.8 L, and the 70-200 IS 2.8 L, as I take many indoor sport shots and concert shots. If the 24-70 is not wide enough, I'll get the ef-s 10-22, and pass that to my son when I go to a full (or 1.3) frame body.

I guess my concern is that many people are recommending the 17-55 2.8 IS for the cropped bodies over the 24-70, but I want the L glass for the future. I guess I just answered my own question.

What I really need, John, is to have the talent that you have. Then, maybe, I could justify the lenses.

Very nice shots, Wulff. Looks like a clear, cold morning. I love those mornings. Some bright fish they are catching too. Are the pinners fishing the mouth of that river letting the current take their bobber out into the lake? Is the reel blur shot when a fish is pulling line off or the current?

Talent..Bah!

Iif you have a passion for the outdoors you have everything you need to photograph it.

Id go with the 24-70 f2.8. It may be a bit constricting on the 1.6 sensor but is a far better walk around (although heavy) than the 10-22.

If you want a WA for the 30D *for now* get the 17-40 f4.0. Its cheaper than the 17-55 IS and could be used on any body now and in the future.

If you do alot of indoor low light Id get the 50mm 1.4 or 85 f1.8.

I shoot my girls gymanstics and volleyball and I can tell you that even at ISO 1000 and higher F2.8 often isnt fast enough to freeze action.

F1.8 and 1/800th

IPB Image

F1.8 and ISO 1600 at 1/1250th

IPB Image

F1.8 and ISO 1600 at 1/800th

IPB Image

If you want to shoot indoor sports where lighting is usually crap and you need high shutter speeds to freeze the action ( 1/800th or higher) F2.8 usually wont be fast enough as these show. Even at ISO 1600 and F1.8 that last shot was at 1/800th which is barely fast enough to freeze the action.You want F2.0 or faster.

thanks Vito.

Many of the pinners were drifting the trough in the very mouth and letting it go out into the lake. Some other were standing 10 feet out drifting the tailout.

Reel Blur.

Most from the current and shot handheld at 1/25th or so to get the blur.

Its just alot easier to do it on a drift vs when the guys fighting fish. One they move too much so they to would be blurred and Two I dont want to get in their way.

Then I leave it to the viewers imagination

Its a very cool shot. The reel looks like its really spinning as if a fish is burning off line. The reason I asked is the fisherman looked very nonchalant to be fighting a fish. I figured he was either drifting or Mr. Cool. :lol:

I love the concentration of the player in the second volleyball shot. Very nice capture.

Very nice John! I love those action shots. Are there some flyfisherman around? They might have better reels. Pinning reels are relatively simplistic to allow the smooth drag-free run and for perfect balance and weight.

Now, shooting a reel like a Hardy Angel or Nautilus CCF...now those reels are a thing of beauty! Graham can attest to the Angel.

Very few Frogfish.

Fly fishing is nowwhere near as popular up here as it is south of the border. Ive been on rivers every weekend for the last month and in that time Ive seen 2 fly rods and hundreds of pinners.

Yes, I was also considering the 17-40, but I'm not sure if I want another f4 aperture lens. Looks like I'll be buying the brick. I will seriously be looking at that 85 1.8 before the next indoor lacrosse season.

Still trying to get shots of Steelheading for the library. The tail walking Chromer has eluded me for another weekend.Hopefully with warmer temps they'll start breaking te surface.

DUCK!

IPB Image

Hi Wulff

I love the bent rod and buddies having a good time together. Tells a story. I too think they belong in a magazine.

I also like the volleyball action shots. That aspect I need some realllllll work. Having kids in sports I need to figure that one out by fall.

Again awesome photo's

Lynn