Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flippo

Flies for Minnesota?

I am taking a one week canoe trip with pals to put in at Ely, Minnesota in June. I am from Georgia and I usually fish for trout in North Georgia.

I think we'll fish for Northerns, Smallies, and Walleye. What flies should I tie and what size?

I am currently tying up Clouser Minnows and Wooly Buggers. Anything else I should be aware of?

Thanks to all...

First off, welcome to the forum.

You won't need anything other than what you already said you are taking, but you could always take more. Some big nasty poppers would be fun to have...especially somethnig like the 'new' Enrico Puglisi big mouth poppers. Here are a couple flies I posted last night that would fit the bill as well

IPB Image

IPB Image

I'm envious! I was there last Summer.....I had a lot of luck w/olive bunny strip leeches.....fwiw, the water is very clear but stained brown from tannin......walleyes, northerns, smallies all have a more brownish tinge to them than what I am used to seeing in my area, keep that in mind when tying flies. The fish should be relatively shallow that time of year still. Like Mike said, bring some topwater poppers/sliders/deerhair bugs w/you. We had our best luckon the 'eyes early morning late evening fishing the bottom (10-15') anywhere a creek/river dumps into the lake. the guys used live leeches, I used bunny strips and buggers w/a sinking line. Next time I go, I am going to bring a rod holder.....I did a lot of trolling as we paddled, just tucked my flyrod under my knee and picked up a few northerns this way......also kept a rod rigged for the portages in case we had a wait....good time of year to go for fishing.....bad time for black flies/ticks! bring a head net!

Mike A.

oh yeah...bring plenty of flies.....I hung quite a few up on rocks and a few bite offs.....

I would only add some larger leech patterns and some Matuka's to give a larger profile baitfish. Go with perch, bluegill, and maybe some crappie patterns.

Deeky

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I will tie up some bushy flies (even my lean flies look bushy sometimes :D ). Tony

I am new to fly fishing but live in Northern Minnesota. To be honest, I would either use something that mimics a minnow or stick with a bobber and minnows. Unless you are in a stream, minnows are all u can use. A minnow or worm (maybe a really large San Juan worm would work) fished from under a bobber will catch almost anything up here. I know this is for fly fishing, but an Original Floating Rapala Lure works well for larger predator fish (walleye, northern, and bass). For fly fishing, I would use what you are planning on, plus minnow, crayfish/crawdad, and worm patterns. I haven't fly fished much in Minnesota, but I told you what I know.

Hope this Helps,

Jim :D