Fly Tying
pickin6ofem

Your Favorite Fly Swap

Herman I got your flies today!

Sweet set of flies indeed!!

I also got Deserttrouts flies....Here fishy fishy fishy

great ty Jim!!!

Justin

The bugs went out to you today Justin. The extras are for you to get as wet as you like!

Guest Big E

Justin....mine went out today.

I want to apologize to everyone as they aren't very good. I usually buy them and I used this swap to force myself to learn to tie them decently. I did about 1/2 dozen practice ones to get my skills to a sorta decent level but they're not what I would call top notch. I couldn't practice anymore as the deadline is almost here and I was running out of hooks and wire.

I'll try to continue to do better and hopefully for you swappers that I see in most of the swaps will notice the improvements in my tying. Its one of my favorites to fish but definately not my favorite to tie.

Update:

I got flies from Dale, Big E, Big Dewy, RRSS.

All look like fish catchers to me.

Sorry for the late responce I was fishing in the Sierras.

How about a fishing report? :dunno:

Just general information here and PM me with specific places, patterns, etc. :hyst:

I got Flies from Flygirl yesterday.

Sweet ty as always and thanks for the extras!!!

Fish Report Bishop '08

Sunday 6/15 Bishop Creek hooked 17 wild browns and landed 10

All fish were taken on dry flies. Jeff landed a nice stocker maybe 13” Jeff started changeling himself throwing looooong drifts and hitting small holes. He showed me a hole and said one keeps rising in there. So I tossed up in the hole and bang I hooked the fish. Way too much fun!

Monday 6/16 Upper Owens Hooked 20 Landed 13 Started out good and had a hook up right away on a prince nymph. Stuck & landed another ‘bow right away on a prince nymph. Had a few more swing and a misses. After lunch we hit a spot Mark told me about. It was a nice right bend with deep pools before and after the bend. I stuck 15 fish and landed 10 in about 30 minutes. Very nice fish all between 13” and 18” “bows!! Jeff couldn’t keep a fly on and was out of the water most of the time. I had to ask myself, “would Jeff keep catching fish?” Hell yea he would of, so I kept fishing. I couldn’t believe it every time I had a good drift going the indicator kept dropping and I lifted the rod and Bang! There was a fish on. The ‘Bows fought hard I really didn’t think I was going to land many of them. They ran, jumped and ran again they definitely put up a great fight. I started to feel bad for Jeff but Every time I thought that I was hooked up again. Last year Jeff went 20 fish to hand to my 2 so this was looking like a payback.

Sure was fun and I got some good experience on fighting bigger fish and landing them.

Monday Night Jeff and I headed out to the Canal and fished for wild browns with dry flies. Hooked 4 landed 1 I saw a fish rise and remembered the Slack J cast Gary showed me a few years back. It was the perfect cast for this spot. I casted out pulled back to make the J and got a good drift going and right over the spot I saw the fish rise and Bang! Fish on. The little brown fought a great fight and jumped toward me and he was free. But how sweet it was to see the fish rise know which cast I needed to throw and got the drift right, it really all did come together. Probably one of the best hook up’s of the trip.

Tuesday 6/17 Upper Owens Hooked 10 landed 5

We went back to the Owens since I had great time on that bend. I found a very “Fishy” spot and began tossing out. Mark gave me one of his Hares Ear’s and said don’t give up on this fly with out giving it a chance. I hit the fishy water again with a new fly and Bang fish on. I landed a nice 14” Bow. Tossed out and got bit again but lost the fish. The day was totally different that the day before we really had to work for our fish. Finally we got into some rising fish and Jeff was sticking a few. I got a few strikes but couldn’t get anything to stay on. Glen got on a bend like I had the day before and landed 10 nice ‘bows in that hole to save the day. Jeff was showing me a cast similar to the slack J and was kind of a snake like cast that you could get super looong drifts on when showing me this cast he was about 35 feet down the river and pop a fish took the fly. Needles to say he had a good drift going. I landed one more small brown to end the day.

Tuesday Night We went back to the Canal and I got hooked up a few times but couldn’t get anything to stay on. Jeff landed 4 nice Browns all on dries. Sweet little canal.

Wednesday 6/18 East Walker/ Rush Creek Hooked 4 landed 0

Went to the East Walker and fished all morning for nada. If we had the right fly we could have killed them but not this time. Jeff hooked into something and fought him for a bit before it came off. The fish flashed and it looked big….too bad we all wanted to see that one. Fished a few other spots for zip and went down to rush creek. What a sweet little creek. Got a few hits but couldn’t get anything to go. Fished a few more hours and called it a skunk 

Thursday 6/19 Crowley Lake hooked 9 landed 5

I started out the day with 4 misses and I really was paying enough attention to my indicator when Jeff said “Justin……JUSTIN” at that point my indicator was a few feet under the water. I raised the rod and I was on. I was in the middle of the fight when Mark says “ahh a little fish huh?” and then we got a flash and we both said “Nice fish” I landed my Personal best Brown trout it was a 3 pounder!!! Got a few pics but none of them did the fish justice. After that it went slow for a bit and them I was on again I was in the fight of my life I was on something good it pulled hard made several good runs at one time I was a foot away from my backing. I told Gary I had “Tuna arm” my forearm was sore from holding that fish. It ended up being a nice ‘Bow I think over 3 pounds again my personal best ‘Bow!! Gary went 0 for 8 before landing a nice ‘bow on 6x Jeff got into some nice fish as well Jeff, Gary and I all landed our personal best brown Trout on that lake on that day. Super sweet day and I will be back.

Thursday Night North Lake Hooked 10 landed 5

After Crowley we decided to go to North Lake and pre fish as Gary and Mark were both guiding there over the next few days. We fished the inlet and there were trout stacked up in the water right by the inlet. I got several strikes and landed a nice ‘Bow. Gary hooked up and landed a little trout and said “you ever seen a Brooke trout?” I said no and went to look at the fish. Wow super pretty fish. He said “sorry I stuck your Brookie”. I started skittering the fly as I don in Baldy and Bang I was on. I got the fish right to my foot and I thought to myself my first Brookie. I did that same skittering thing again and landed 3 more Brookie’s and told Gary to come over to see them and sure enough there were Brookie’s my first ever Brooke Trout!! So cool to land my PB Brown and ‘Bow’s and now my first ever Brooke Trout. I kept fishing and got a nice ‘bow to take the fly had I got a brown I would have had the North lake Slam lol.

Friday 6/20 Hot Creek/ Bishop Creek Hooked 10 Landed 4

I fished with Gary for a few hours on Hot Creek. I got one grab that broke off and I didn’t get anything after that. Gary hooked into a nice 14’ ‘Bow and it broke off as well. We were fishing with 2 and 3 weights and they were too light to throw the weight we were using. We decided to leave to Bishop Creek (the north fork) we were going for little Browns with a dry and dropper rig. As we were rigging up the Alpers truck came by and tossed in about 10 Alpers from 3 to 5 pounds. I have never caught a stocker on the fly let alone get one to look at my fly. I walked down to the pool where the fish were put in and I couldn’t believe they were rising to something. I threw over my dry/dropper rig and got a bite. I pulled the hook out of the fish’s mouth. After that I figured I would try again. No luck on the dry but I did manage to hook the tree and break off a swap stimi. I tied on a black Woolly and casted it out….stuck in the tree again I tugged and low and behold I got my Bugger back and it was hooked into my stimi. No kidding I got my fly back. I started stripping streamers and Bang I kept getting bit but I would pull the hook out of the fish’s mouth each time. Gary said “are they sipping the fly or whacking it?” I said “there whacking it” so Gary says “just lift the rod up slowly then” sure enough the next bite I was on, my first Alpers/ stocker and it was a good one looked to be a 3 pounder!! What a great fight in skinny water it jumped ran all over the pool. I figured this would put the other fish down for sure. Well I was wrong I landed a total of 4 Alpers all around the 3 pound range. Super fun on the 3 weight with 6x tippet. Later I got a few more grabs of some wild Brownies but the fish of the day were those Alpers for sure. I got one to look at the Bugger and I stripped he looked and lost interest so I stripped twice fast and let it sink and BANG!! Another 3 pounder on again. Very fun fish to catch.

I'm going out of town for a week so I wont be checking the board for a while.

I'm going down to the coast and I'm gonna try to bring some of my Trout mojo down to the salt and

see if I can't get a Croaker or Corbina or at least some Barred Surf Perch.

I'll put My addy on the first page just in case any one needs it.

Justin