Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremi

Beetle patterns

Kind of in a tying mental block lately. Does anyone know of any cool/new beetle patterns? Here in Missouri we dont have a lot of hatches so a few terrestrials is about the extent of my dry fly fishing. I should be receiving a shipment tomorrow of crackle back materials. They work very well here in the summer. So, someone PLEASE give me some help!!!!! OH!! and to make things worst we have had lots of rain so fishing is out of the question for a while. Im starting to build my house at the end of June so I may have no time for fishing this summer!! Seems like every year i say that I am going to fish more, and something always comes up!! DEPRESSING!!!!

I tie my beetles with black deerhair. Peacock herl body, deerhair tied in at the hook bend, black hackle palmered to the eye and then fold the hair over the top and tie in behind the eye. Real simple and I have tied beetles down to size 20 without getting my thumbs in the way. cool.gif

Some very nice beatle patterns Barry.

Welcome to the site I hope to see more of your flies.

OSD.

Raffia is the straw-like, single stranded bundled stuff people weave and bunch to make scarecrows and crafty junk around Halloween and Thanksgiving, stuff at kiddie summer camp arts and crafts weaving, and so forth. It is also known as Swiss Straw in the fancy fly tying catalog parlance.

Fish,

When I first started tying that beetle I used white marabou for the underwing. It doesn't seem to matter to the fish. The only reason I went with the raffia was because it looked more realistic.

Be sure to use a strip of Hi-vis on top of the shell in bigger water. It floats really low and seeing it is a problem with longer casts.

I couldn't follow that link. It brought me back to our Main Page

Here is a picture of a beetle Preach tied for the recent terrestrial swap. This is one of the coolest beetles I've seen. Maybe he can provide the pattern?

post-2-1088171911.jpg

QUOTE (Pujic @ Jun 25 2004, 09:58 AM)
Here is a picture of a beetle Preach tied for the recent terrestrial swap. This is one of the coolest beetles I've seen. Maybe he can provide the pattern?

You're not kidding. That thing freaked me out when I opened the box.

Nice work, Bobby wink.gif

Thanks Will. Looks like you're on the ball