Fly Tying
vtflyhack

Flytyer mag

Why not write the editor and tell him what you want to see in the magazine? No threats, no editorials, just tell the guy what kind of articles or features will make you subscribe. Fly fishing and tying magazines are not a lucrative market, your subscription matters.

When Will put together Hatches, he filled a niche: a clear, well-illustrated fly tying magazine. I do not know what sort of pre-publication research verified the need, but his efforts are focused and, it seems, appreciated by members of this forum. By using the forum as a sensing tool and running Hatches in a multi-media format (electronic, newsletter, video, forum) he has the ability to respond to a specialized, and often capricious, market.

Like Hatches? Buy a copy. Like it a lot? Buy two copies. :)

your right to bad they more them likely will not help him this is were i would pack my bag and say c-ya any ways good luck and tight lines rhino...................

I am working on a letter right now, but I feel it will fall on deaf ears. I think Klausmeyer is in awe of Hatches and dosn't know what to put in his mag. :hyst: :hyst: :hyst:

vtflyhack

I have thought about this thread multiple times since it started and think its off the mark totally. Although you may not find every article interesting, I have yet to find a flyfishing or tying magazine that doesn't have some great articles in each issue. I may not read cover to cover, but I pick out the material I am interested in and read it thoroughly, plus I love pictures, new items and step-by-step patterns and tying guides. Nearly every magazine has these.

Fly Tyer, in my opinion, is a very enjoyable and informative magazine. I have yet to get an issue I didn't like. I don't know what your criteria are, but if you don't like it, let your subscription lapse and stop complaining about a magazine many others enjoy. I'm sure the editor would far prefer not receiving the pittance you pay annually for his hard work than have you making derogatory remarks on any website.

Its difficult and extremely expensive to run a buniness of any kind, and publishing is a high expense, low profit enterprise in many cases. If you can do better, give it a shot.

I subscribe to many magazines; some are better than others, but I find things to enjoy in each one, and generally I resubscribe annually. When Hatches came out, I bought six copies. Since then, I have given half of them away. I'll probably do the same with the next.

Fly Tyer, in my opinion, is a very enjoyable and informative magazine. I have yet to get an issue I didn't like. I don't know what your criteria are, but if you don't like it, let your subscription lapse and stop complaining about a magazine many others enjoy. I'm sure the editor would far prefer not receiving the pittance you pay annually for his hard work than have you making derogatory remarks on any website.

I would agree with most of Harold's post, but I would think that any editor would appreciate well-thought out constructive criticizm that might give feedback as to what direction the pulse of the fly tying world is going.

I have noticed that the make-up of the participants on this forum, however, do not "fit the mold" of the "traditional" fly tier or fly fisher, on average, and it might just be that the magazine is not paced properly for you, as it might be for someone who is not you.

And I don't mean this in an offensive manner, so please don't take it that way.

but I would think that any editor would appreciate well-thought out constructive criticizm that might give feedback as to what direction the pulse of the fly tying world is going.

I totally agree with this. I believe criticizm gives the ability to improve, but simple derogatory statements on a website without the editor knowing anything about it is destructive for no reason.

but I would think that any editor would appreciate well-thought out constructive criticizm that might give feedback as to what direction the pulse of the fly tying world is going.

I totally agree with this. I believe criticizm gives the ability to improve, but simple derogatory statements on a website without the editor knowing anything about it is destructive for no reason.

You must be my long-lost brother-of-another-mother or something Harold..... :hyst:

I used to have a difficult time with constructive criticism in my writing classes waaay back in college, but I've gotten over that now. I suggest writing the letter, then re-reading it the next day and toning it down again. Do this four or five times, and you should have a letter that is not too offensive. :P

Thanks for the food for thought> I am not out to bust the editors balls!!!!!I have subscribed to Flytyer for about 5 years now!!!! I have noticed a change in amount of content, that is what I am focusing on. Believe me I am not going for the throat with raging criticism when I can just walk away from the subscription, and never look at the magazine again. Purolohi Kalastaja, I like your statement"

I have noticed that the make-up of the participants on this forum, however, do not "fit the mold" of the "traditional" fly tier or fly fisher, on average, and it might just be that the magazine is not paced properly for you, as it might be for someone who is not you. I think there is a lot of truth to this. I think that is why Hatches is such a runaway hit, is in it's willingness to adapt & break out of most tying traditions. Hatches has the benfit of us tying junkies to get a puse of what is going on various intrests from this site. Looking back on past issues of Tyer there has been some departure from tradition also! When I picked up my first issue of Flytyer I was amazed it Jumped started me and propeled my intrest further into the relm of tying.

vtflyhack

There weren't enough subscribers to keep that one going, so they fulfilled the subscription to that magazine by sending AA with it's supplement to those who were expecting SWFF. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed because I had discontinued AA for many of the reasons previously stated here.

I found that when I stopped AA I went right back to searching for the SWF as well and ended up broke because she took all my money, then the judge ordered me to go back to AA and......

Wait a minute :unsure: are we talkin' about the same thing?

:P :D

Hatches twice a year would be GREAT, and I hope to try to submit an article sometime. Twice a year would be just often enough to scratch the itch and still make it sort of a "collector" item. Maybe annually really is the way to go though.

I get good info from every issue of FT, even if most of the articles happen to not be about something I'm doing at the time. Never know when an opportunity might come up. I can't afford $$$ to subscribe to a bunch of mags in the hopes of getting one or two ideas from each one... that's what I USED to like about Barnes and Noble- I know it's kind of a crappy thing to do, but I'd quickly browse the mags and if I saw more than a few good articles, I'd buy the mag. Now, maybe it's just here, Barnes and Noble has SQUAT for fishing mags (except of course half a dozen bass tournament ones.)

So, Hatches and FT will suffice. And this forum of course.