Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
oxquo

Trolling flies with fly rod, what fly type?

In Our travels in pursuing the 30 species We have encountered a lot of new lakes so far. Generally I like to cover the lake fairly well before settling into a spot unless I see a spot all too tempting such as a beaver dam or a good thick fallen timber pile. While going from spot to spot on a new lake the problem has been, what to drag behind the raft. I had made some crystal chenille buggers BH in olive and get a few hits but thats about it. I have been fishing most bush piles with a water boatman pattern lately and doing okay with them. Now since it has been years since I fished for trout I am a bit stumped. Would I be better off dragging a clouser, streamer or drop rig behind as I travel from spot to spot? I honestly hate time out of the water and the raft doesn't get going any faster than I can get it going so I may as well troll. Also without a motor I have the rod in the holder and am hoping to get longer hang ons so I can get to them. Any suggestions? We are moving on to brookies, browns and bows if that helps.

I always leave my rod in the water if Im moving with the electric motor. Heck I leave my fly in the water when I walk up stream. Mine as well. Any well weighted streamer will do fine.

Most of my lake flies are mohair leaches. Works well for me on cutts and rainbows. Rarely use anything else.

Mohair I haven't even tied them yet, thanks for the idea. I guess it would add a bunch of extra action. I'm gonna tie some up today thanks.

I'm a fan of bombers, but I'm guessing that the lakes you're fishing you'll have better luck with an orange (B.H.) bugger.

Trolling can be hit and miss under my experiences. If you're just keeping your hook in the water while you get from spot to spot, I wouldn't use anything special.

If you're really concerned, I'd take into consideration what the fish are feeding on. "Matching the Hatch" is a safe way to go. What depths are the fish feeding on? There are a lot of factors that need to come together in order for you to land a fish!

Good luck!

S

IPB Image

Is the plastic lip a crankbait lip for flies that they sell at cabelas? I had seen another plastic wobble piece on a lure called the fox or arctic fox that went above the fly on the line but cant seem to find them separately. I made up some clilli pepper like flies though in a hot orange and may try them without the wobbler. Thanks for the idea. I will try to design My own wobble I guess.

Hi

I troll for Rainbows, Cutbows, Browns and LandLocked Salmon most all the time. I have two rigs, both St Croix Avids; a 9' trolling rod (made with a 6w fly rod blank) and a 6w Avid Fly rod.

I tie my own streamers: 4-8 Xlong hook, Thread to match the marabou, Marabou (Burnt Orange is my favorite), Copper Chrystal Flash, Copper Chennile, Brown or Ginger Hackle and a SHINEY Gold Bead.

Wrap Hook w/ Thread, spread glue evenly over thread, Add a Clump (10 or more sixe specific for the hook) of the Flash, tie in a clump of marabou, add the chennile for the body and add the hackle. Go back and tie in the flash and marabou again and again and end with a clumd of the flash on top. It will look BUSHY but once it is wet it looks like a Clouser. Get some of those plastic wobblers (I like clear) and place on your leader above the fly, tie on the fly and troll. I use a figure eight movement with my rod as this make the fly speed up and slow down repeatedly.

The secret is troll SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWWW but fast enough for the fly to move. The plastic wobbler helps. I use dark flies (black, dark brown, rootbeer etc..)in the early AM and after 9AM i go to the Burnt Orange, yellow, etc...

Good Luck

deserttrout

I call the Burnt Orange Fly "The Chili Pepper Troll". On my trolling rod I do not use the gold bead as I use Lead Free Core line to get the fly down but on the fly rod I do use the gold bead. I want to thank Tony Spezio for his guidance on tying Chili Peppers. Any help with getting a picture attched would be appreciated.

DT

post-13181-1214491289_thumb.jpgpost-13181-1214488249_thumb.jpg

Here are the results of the Chili Pepper Troll :headbang:

Chili Pepper Troll on the table :D

I forgot that I use a gold set of bead chain eyes instead of the gold bead <_<

DT

Nice, thanks for the help. I didn't find the dealies for the troll but found at the dollar store, small suction cups that are clear, I put a hole in them with a hot wire and believe I'm getting the same effect but haven't tried on the fish yet. Great idea and for $1.00 I have 4 of them. I always take two rods fishing, One with a streamer or leech like pattern and the other usually has a cat swimmer on it as it has been My most successful fly this year. I will try the leech in the morning with the suction cup. I much prefer to sit and cast but it gets tough especially with the winds out here. I saw a rig on a guys line that fascinated Me. It was a small silver clouser but that wasn't the cool part. Along His leader He had 4 pieces of reflective silver scale tape shaped like minnows. It looked like the clouser was chasing them and I could see it across the lake as He casted out. He said it was easy to cast as long as You kept a wide loop and added a small swivel up Your leader from it all. He caught twice what I did that day and some monsters. I am thinking that this acts like a willow leaf troll for fly fishermen. Has anyone else used this technique?