Fly Tying
Pujic

Damsel Nymph?

Hey guys,

Took a photo of this thing this afternoon while trout fishing. The nymph was about 1.5" long and moved verly slowly. I've seen plenty of damsel fly nymphs before, but this one seemed different. Maybe the eyes, or the rock covered thorax??? dunno.gif Could be me...

user posted image

Yeah, with those long legs and that tail-gear it has to be a damsel of some kind.

It is quite a bit shorter overall than the ones I'm familiar with here in MO. but my money is definately on Damsel

What a great picture.Ihave to say if you want to make a horror movie just take a look in your local stream.Never really realized how the bugs were.

tt

QUOTE (Pujic @ May 29 2004, 10:53 PM)
Hey guys,

Took a photo of this thing this afternoon while trout fishing. The nymph was about 1.5" long and moved verly slowly. I've seen plenty of damsel fly nymphs before, but this one seemed different. Maybe the eyes, or the rock covered thorax??? dunno.gif Could be me...

user posted image

Nick-

Apparently, the photo isn't any longer there. Could you re-post the photo, as I'd like to see it. Thanks.

Nick,

That puppy is definitely a damsel. I'm not sure exactly what species. But I have seen them before.

Charlie.

P.S. Nice photo brother!

If I was going to throw my 2 cents worth in I'd say that those eyes and head is wierd for a damselfly, but it looks a heck of a lot like Synlestes weyersii (Zygoptera family) Could be wrong, only going by a picture or two but these ones have a different head and aparently tend to hold their body in a scorpion like arch, though your pic is not doing that. The adult female has that green bulbous end to the abdo you may have seen. I dunno how to scan a pic in here or I would for ya.

QUOTE (Pujic @ Jan 3 2005, 06:05 PM)
Hi Taxon,

As requested... smile.gif

Nick-

What a gorgeous photo. Looks to me like it’s a nymphal Broadwinged Damselfly (family Calopterygide). Could be more certain if didn’t have so much silt (or whatever) on it, which somewhat obscures familial identification keys. However, it appears to me to have very long (and stout) 1st antennae segment (longer than all others combined) and stilt-like legs, which are familial identification keys for nymphal Broadwinged Damselflies. Wish I could verify that the middle caudal lamella is shorter than the lateral lamellae, but the photo doesn't have sufficient focus in that area for me to determine.

In any event, the Broadwinged Damselfly genera in N. America are Calopteryx (Bandwings) and Hetaerina (Ruby Spots), so it’s likely one of those two.

Thanks for the great info guys. I'm going to try and capture some more shots of that same bug this coming season on the same trout creek.

Hey Nick, Loved the photo so much I just has to try and tye one.

Used white saddle tips for the tails

Very light olive dubbing topped with olive goose feather for the abdomen wrapped with gold tinsel

White duck flank for the legs, colored with a marker and then coated with flexament

Olive mottled turkey for the wing case and head covering

Olive glass beads for the eyes

white duck colored with a marker for the pichers.

user posted image

After doing this I took some powdered model train set landscape material and sprinkled it over the fly whcih was covered in some areas with flexament.

user posted image

I think it looks pretty good for my first try. I placed the fly over the print out from the fly you posted on the FTF.

user posted image

Graham

That's really an outstanding imitation, Graham. It looks more like a damselfly than the original photo does. If it weren't for the hook, I'd swear that it was a natural. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks guy's you make me feel real proud. Next time I will use light olive hackle tips for the tails instead of coloring white ones. I had never tried this before, but, I also really like the look of taking a photo with a fly sitting on a picture of a river bed, makes the fly more real than compared to a photo of a fly on a clip with a colored background.

Hey Nick, Would sure appreciate you e-mailing me some higher resolution photo's like the Damsel.

Thanks again, Graham

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif ohmy.gif Wow that is a great immitation Graham, nice work. I might hit you up for one of those wink.gif

I'll e-mail you some nice close ups of cool looking bugs from this Summer.