Fly Tying
stony

Swap Mailing Question

I have a question for all you swappers out there.

When mailing out my envelopes, I use either padded or bubble wrap envelopes. I just want to ensure that my flies get to where they are going in one piece.

I quite often see that most people who send me their flies use just regular envelopes or the manila style. There isn't any padding to speak of. How well do these hold up when you get your flies back?

I personally use the manila type envelopes, with the type of containers that I use for my flies, I have not had any problems with any of my swap packages. Using a good container, in my opinion is the key.

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

I recycle my envelopes until they will travel no more, have used plain manila, tyvek, and various padded, all of them have held up well, however the plain manila ones usually need some tape to continue. no issues so far... only interesting thing is i usually use some form of wax type paper so they are able to self seal, seems most swapmeisters miss this and tape them shut, self sealing flap and all ;)

I do usually try to send them to swapmeister in a non-padded envelope because the return padded one protects the contents. Traveling back my way are usually padded.

Padded envelopes are the norm since I can get a two pack at the dollar store for a buck. Sometimes I'll send them out in the USPS priority mail envelope or box, but usually with a padded envelope for return.

I usually use a CD box from the Post Office. It is big enough to handle large flies and steerdy enough to protect dry flies.

I mail 99% of the flies (sales or swap)I sell in a manila envelope. Ive never had an complaint of issue. I pack My flies in a zip lock bag. Now for flies like my craw with feather claws I need a box to protect the claws. The padded envelope is not necessary.

I've been using just the plain manila onea and ltoids tins. Got one back out of about 30 so far that had the tin dented a little, but no damage to any of the envelopes.

I always run a piece of scotch tape along the flap, don't trust the glue too much. But they always come back sealed, so guess that's not raelly an issue.

Plain Manila w/ Altoids Tin ;

Never had any issues. Always returned in one piece.

I started using padded ones at first but felt like it was overkill.

You can get an 8 pack at the dollar store, w/ the little brads to help keep it closed. ( I also use some tape)

Like $.25 a swap.

:P